Fire crews battle thatch roof blaze at Torrington
FIREFIGHTERS from all over Devon worked through the night to tackle a fire that threatened to destroy a row of Grade Two listed thatch cottages near Torrington on Saturday. At the height of the blaze, 75 firemen battled flames thought to have spread from
FIREFIGHTERS from all over Devon worked through the night to tackle a fire that threatened to destroy a row of Grade Two listed thatch cottages near Torrington on Saturday.
At the height of the blaze, 75 firemen battled flames thought to have spread from a kitchen at the end-terrace home in Kingscott.
Crews from Bideford, Torrington, Barnstaple, Appledore, Hatherleigh, Chulmleigh, Ilfracombe, Okehampton, Hartland, Braunton, South Molton, Tavistock, North Tawton, Middlemoor, Chagford, Crediton and as far away as Exmouth worked from midnight until 5pm on Saturday.
The end terrace - one a range of two storey thatched properties forming an L shape - was almost completely destroyed but firefighters managed to save neighbouring properties by forming a fire break in the thatched roof.
You may also want to watch:
Bideford Group Commander Alan Coxon said: "Although it is very upsetting for the residents of the property, the incident could have been a lot worse.
"We could quite easily have been looking at fire spreading to the entire building but thanks to fire breaks made in thatch, other properties in terrace unaffected by fire.
- 1 £2.1m upgrade will provide space for 38 new North Devon jobs
- 2 Torrington woman rebuilds her life after devastating stroke
- 3 Real ice rink coming to Barnstaple Christmas Village
- 4 Vandalism at Bideford's Brunswick Wharf development condemned
- 5 Cyclist left with ‘serious head injuries’ after incident in Bideford
- 6 Fangtastic half-term Halloween fun at Yeo Valley Woodland
- 7 Bid for £34 million to improve Devon's bus services submitted
- 8 New app 'Dscvr' promoting North Devon town centres set to launch
- 9 Bideford's First Food and Drink Festival coming soon
- 10 Charity staff praised for support helping customers get online