Blaze is thought to have spread from outside bin.

The damaged Northam Burrows Centre after a fire started in a bin. Picture: Karen SlocombeThe damaged Northam Burrows Centre after a fire started in a bin. Picture: Karen Slocombe

Firefighters say a major fire at the Burrows Centre at Northam Burrows Country Park is thought to have started in an outside bin.

Crews from Bideford, Appledore and Barnstaple were called to battle the blaze in the early hours of this morning (Saturday).

The alarm was raised shortly after midnight but the wooden building was well alight by the time the first crews arrived on scene.

Firefighters managed to salvage around 70 per cent of the building, although half of the roof has been destroyed.

The cause of the fire is believed to be accidental.