Fire confirmed as suspected arson
A suspected arson attack in Bideford last night (Weds) leaves on victim still in intensive care
A MAN has been arrested and a victim remains in intensive care following a fire in Bideford last night (Weds).
Police have confirmed that a 29 year old male is being held in custody on suspicion of arson with intent to endanger life.
The fire took place shortly before 7.45pm on the ground floor of a three-storey house at 8 South View Terrace, Bideford, not Northdown Road as was reported earlier.
Two men were taken to North Devon District Hospital following the incident, and one remains in intensive care with serious burn injuries to his hands.
You may also want to watch:
The other, who was treated for smoke-inhalation, has been released.
No other information about the victims or suspect has been released at the present time.
- 1 Jealous Barnstaple boyfriend made divorcee get rid of wedding dress
- 2 North Devon business signs up to 1 billion tree project
- 3 The Plough announces Open-Air Theatre Festival
- 4 Holidaycottages.co.uk celebrates launch of new office in Braunton
- 5 Criminal damage at Fremington Football Club - Police appeal
- 6 Little Leo’s big challenge for Children’s Hospice South West
- 7 Bungling Northam burglar facing jail
- 8 Boris Johnson - Time between Covid jabs cut in response to Indian variant
- 9 North Devon sign West Indian pace bowler
- 10 'ThINK it through before you tattoo' urges council
Detective Constable Phil Lawes of Barnstaple CID confirmed that the area was being treated as a crime scene, as forensics carried out their investigations this morning.
The property still remains cordoned off.
He said: “The fire service was alerted to the blaze last night. When we arrived at the scene the place was well alight.”
The suspect had left the scene of the crime by the time police arrived and was arrested elsewhere in Bideford.
The suspect will be interviewed later today, as the police try to piece together what happened.