Fire confirmed as suspected arson
A suspected arson attack in Bideford last night (Weds) leaves on victim still in intensive care
A MAN has been arrested and a victim remains in intensive care following a fire in Bideford last night (Weds).
Police have confirmed that a 29 year old male is being held in custody on suspicion of arson with intent to endanger life.
The fire took place shortly before 7.45pm on the ground floor of a three-storey house at 8 South View Terrace, Bideford, not Northdown Road as was reported earlier.
Two men were taken to North Devon District Hospital following the incident, and one remains in intensive care with serious burn injuries to his hands.
You may also want to watch:
The other, who was treated for smoke-inhalation, has been released.
No other information about the victims or suspect has been released at the present time.
- 1 Real ice rink coming to Barnstaple Christmas Village
- 2 Torrington woman rebuilds her life after devastating stroke
- 3 £2.1m upgrade will provide space for 38 new North Devon jobs
- 4 Vandalism at Bideford's Brunswick Wharf development condemned
- 5 Cyclist left with ‘serious head injuries’ after incident in Bideford
- 6 Fangtastic half-term Halloween fun at Yeo Valley Woodland
- 7 Bid for £34 million to improve Devon's bus services submitted
- 8 New app 'Dscvr' promoting North Devon town centres set to launch
- 9 Charity staff praised for support helping customers get online
- 10 Firework display set to return to Barnstaple Rugby Club for 2021
Detective Constable Phil Lawes of Barnstaple CID confirmed that the area was being treated as a crime scene, as forensics carried out their investigations this morning.
The property still remains cordoned off.
He said: “The fire service was alerted to the blaze last night. When we arrived at the scene the place was well alight.”
The suspect had left the scene of the crime by the time police arrived and was arrested elsewhere in Bideford.
The suspect will be interviewed later today, as the police try to piece together what happened.