Fire brigade strike called off
- Credit: Archant
Firefighters will not be striking on Saturday after Government negotiations arranged
Firefighters in North Devon will not be striking tomorrow (Saturday) evening.
The Fire Brigades Union had planned to strike nationally for a second time in a matter of weeks after a strike on September 25 affected several local stations, including walkouts at Barnstaple and Bideford.
Devon and Somerset FBU chairman Bob Walker said at the time the strike was ‘totally avoidable’ and said the government’s proposed changes to firsfighters’ pensions were ‘not viable’.
He also described the action as ‘a shot across the bows’ to bring the government back round the negotiating table, which appears to have been successful.
You may also want to watch:
FBU members were due to strike on Saturday evening, from 6.30pm to 11.30pm, but further negotiations are now due to take place between the FBU and the Government.
- 1 UPDATE: Two people airlifted to hospital after A361 Link Road crash
- 2 North Devon men to swim the English Channel and back again
- 3 Thieves steal £3,500 of fragrances from Barnstaple department store
- 4 Bideford woman wins £70,000 and turns miles into trees
- 5 Farmer fined for ploughing up protected Iron Age remains
- 6 Rescue dog finally finds forever home after more than 200 days
- 7 Rare vehicles from Dave Vanstone Collection go to auction
- 8 Barnstaple firm develops new anti-Covid alloy to replace stainless steel
- 9 Moore makes mark as North Devon beat Budleigh Salterton
- 10 Tractor guidance systems taken from farm near Bideford