Fire at Grenville site ‘suspicious’
A fire on the old Grenville College site in Bideford is being treated as suspicious.
Two fire engines were sent from Bideford after the blaze in a single storey wooden building, a disused science classroom, was discovered by a security guard. A third appliance was also requested from Appledore.
Damage was eventually limited to a store room in the centre of the building and the area surrounding it.
But a butane gas cylinder was later discovered in the basement, which the fire service said could have made the incident much more serious, posing a risk to its crews and the public.
Crew Commander Pearce, who was in charge of the incident on Saturday, April 30, praised the hard work of fire crews and reminded owners of empty buildings to ensure their property is kept locked and secure.