Fire at former Ilfracombe hotel
Firefighters from across North Devon tackle Torrs Park blaze
FIREFIGHTERS are currently battling a widespread fire at a former Ilfracombe hotel.
Eight fire engines from across North Devon are tackling the blaze at the unoccupied Southcliffe Hotel, in Torrs Park.
Many people telephoned emergency services to raise the alarm just after 6am.
Two appliances from Ilfracombe were soon joined by a further two crews, as well as the water bowser and aerial ladder platform from Barnstaple.
You may also want to watch:
A short time later another two crews were requested and units from Combe Martin, Lynton and Woolacombe are now also attendance along with the incident command unit from Ilfracombe, crewed by firefighters from Braunton.
Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue originally said that fire was at the Glen Tor Hotel but have since confirmed that blaze is at the nearby 75-room Southcliffe.
- 1 Farmer fined for ploughing up protected Iron Age remains
- 2 Tractor guidance systems taken from farm near Bideford
- 3 North Devon woman reveals huge collection of HM Queen portraits and memorabilia
- 4 Rare vehicles from Dave Vanstone Collection go to auction
- 5 Bideford town centre regeneration plan backed by council
- 6 South Molton youngsters enjoy Land Rover Premiership Rugby Cup
- 7 Brother told sister 'you're dead' after birthday party bust-up
- 8 Bideford woman wins £70,000 and turns miles into trees
- 9 Teams needed for Appledore RNLI Boat Pull
- 10 Bideford Pannier Market offers traders new deal
The fire is affecting 50 per cent of all floors.