Fire at Bideford pine factory
Fire crews spend all day tackling smouldering wood shavings in a silo
Fire crews have been busy all day tackling a blaze in a silo at the Devonshire Pine factory on Bideford’s Caddsdown industrial estate.
Two appliances from Bideford, one each from Appledore and Torrington and the aerial ladder from Barnstaple have been on the scene since around 10am. The incident support unit and a support appliance from Ilfracombe have also been involved.
The fire fighters found a silo around a third full of smouldering wood shavings. Initially, attempts were made to put out the fire with a hose reel jet.
Later compressed air foam was used to drench the contents of the silo. An angle grinder was used to gain access to remove the contents. By 3pm steady progress was being made with the fire being fought from the bottom of the silo as well as from the top.
You may also want to watch:
Relief crews were due to attend the incident at 4pm
- 1 'ThINK it through before you tattoo' urges council
- 2 Ilfracombe man, 64, must pay compensation for baseball bat attack
- 3 Conservatives maintain control of Devon County Council despite losses
- 4 North Devon sign West Indian pace bowler
- 5 Small-time drug dealer 'caught red-handed'
- 6 Prime minister to give green light for May 17 Covid-19 lockdown easing
- 7 County Council Elections: Candidates for Torridge
- 8 Police appeal after Barnstaple brawl
- 9 Alison Hernandez vows to get tough on crime as she retains PCC role
- 10 County Council Elections: Candidates for North Devon