Fire at Bideford pine factory
Fire crews spend all day tackling smouldering wood shavings in a silo
Fire crews have been busy all day tackling a blaze in a silo at the Devonshire Pine factory on Bideford’s Caddsdown industrial estate.
Two appliances from Bideford, one each from Appledore and Torrington and the aerial ladder from Barnstaple have been on the scene since around 10am. The incident support unit and a support appliance from Ilfracombe have also been involved.
The fire fighters found a silo around a third full of smouldering wood shavings. Initially, attempts were made to put out the fire with a hose reel jet.
Later compressed air foam was used to drench the contents of the silo. An angle grinder was used to gain access to remove the contents. By 3pm steady progress was being made with the fire being fought from the bottom of the silo as well as from the top.
You may also want to watch:
Relief crews were due to attend the incident at 4pm
- 1 Plan for 173 homes on Torrington Creamery site approved despite no affordable homes
- 2 Crash and assault in Ilfracombe - Police appeal
- 3 Northam Murder: Carer denies killing widow Carol Hart
- 4 PICTURES: Prince of Wales and Duchess of Cornwall visit The Burton at Bideford
- 5 Jewellery and cash stolen in Barnstaple burglary
- 6 Rosemoor transforms into Wonderland for the summer holidays
- 7 New ‘inside-out’ art gallery coming to Ilfracombe
- 8 Changes to reporting planning breaches in North Devon
- 9 Busy thirteen days for Appledore RNLI
- 10 Tesco launches ‘Buy One to Help A Child’ in North Devon