Fire at Bideford pine factory
Fire crews spend all day tackling smouldering wood shavings in a silo
Fire crews have been busy all day tackling a blaze in a silo at the Devonshire Pine factory on Bideford’s Caddsdown industrial estate.
Two appliances from Bideford, one each from Appledore and Torrington and the aerial ladder from Barnstaple have been on the scene since around 10am. The incident support unit and a support appliance from Ilfracombe have also been involved.
The fire fighters found a silo around a third full of smouldering wood shavings. Initially, attempts were made to put out the fire with a hose reel jet.
Later compressed air foam was used to drench the contents of the silo. An angle grinder was used to gain access to remove the contents. By 3pm steady progress was being made with the fire being fought from the bottom of the silo as well as from the top.
You may also want to watch:
Relief crews were due to attend the incident at 4pm
- 1 Devon health boss 'concerned' at low Covid booster uptake
- 2 'Neglected' North Devon taxi firm challenged by councillors
- 3 Real ice rink coming to Barnstaple Christmas Village
- 4 People and businesses asked to join Barnstaple clean up
- 5 Link centre consultation 'absolute nonsense' say campaigners
- 6 £2.1m upgrade will provide space for 38 new North Devon jobs
- 7 Drink spiking crackdown after needle attack - Devon Police
- 8 Bideford's First Food and Drink Festival coming soon
- 9 Good news for Combe Martin’s water quality
- 10 Firework display set to return to Barnstaple Rugby Club for 2021