Fighting the decline
In response to Henry Hartley Senior’s letter (“Marina mistake”, Opinion, February 13) in which he says “Appledore is slowly dying”.
I am a born and bred Appledorian, as were my mother and father, and I also have seen the decline of our beautiful historical village.
Growing up, our village was self-sufficient: doctors, chemist, banks, building society and store. Gradually all taken away.
Then there are the people who buy houses to be part of our village life and live in those houses for a few weeks of the year. I wonder why the village is dying.
Building a marina, in my estimation, would not give a boost to our village. It will probably mean more holiday homes, which in turn means no village life – the very reason why they choose to buy a property here.
You may also want to watch:
As for the comment about the majority of people outside the municipal office having very grey hair – thank you!
Because without you fighting the fight, developers would have a field day.
- 1 PICTURES: New Bideford book merges old pictures with new
- 2 Assault and attempted robbery near Tarka Trail
- 3 Man arrested after 'serious assault' outside Barnstaple nightclub
- 4 Drink driver banned after Ilfracombe Lidl crash
- 5 Surf trio take on epic surf paddle challenge in memory of best friends
- 6 Fringe TheatreFest returns to Barnstaple this month
- 7 Holsworthy conveyancer crowned Young Practitioner of the Year
- 8 Ilfracombe dressage star Caitlin Burgess pursues Olympic dream
- 9 Man, 22, arrested after cyclist dies in Bideford crash
- 10 Scream mask knifeman caused terror at Barnstaple play park