Fighting against factory farming
A new group in North Devon will be campaigning against cruel factory farming methods.
A MUM-of-three is looking for members for a new group campaigning against factory farming methods.
Karen Mitchell, 37, was horrified when learning about the conditions farm animals can often be kept in and formed the North Devon branch of the international campaign group Compassion in World Farming.
She said: “I think it is really important that we know the truth behind where our food comes from and that consumers are able to make informed decisions when shopping for meat and dairy.
I have previously adopted ex-battery hens and it’s great news that battery farming has been abolished now, but there is still a long way to go.”
You may also want to watch:
Karen, a former veterinary nurse, who currently owns three hens called Speckles, Crest and Feathers, is hoping to raise awareness of factory farming methods.
She added: “I love having fresh eggs from our chickens every day because I know they are happy, and am careful about where the meat I buy comes from.
- 1 North Devon's largest private employer needs workers to expand
- 2 'Controversial' plan to close mental health centres in North Devon
- 3 820 homes approved for Landkey despite council concern
- 4 North Devon optometrist highlights 'ticking timebomb' vision crisis
- 5 Holidaymaker jailed for attacking partner in Ilfracombe
- 6 New Archdeacon of Barnstaple begins her role at special service in Bideford
- 7 Man seriously injured at Appledore Quay - Witness Appeal
- 8 North Devon Emergency Department in top ten for patient experience
- 9 Tributes paid to North Devon librarian Ian Tansley
- 10 Northam man who searched for child pornography sent on treatment course
“I hope through our meetings we can discuss ways to make better decisions when shopping without it costing a fortune.”
Karen will be holding monthly meetings at her house in Braunton. For more information on attending, contact Compassion’s supporter services team on 01483 521953 or email@example.com who will put you in touch with Karen.