Fifth coronavirus death confirmed at North Devon District Hospital
- Credit: Archant
A fifth patient has died at North Devon District Hospital after testing positive for Covid-19.
The patient died on Wednesday, April 15 according to the latest figures released by NHS England.
Thursday’s (April 16) update shows that 84 people have now died in hospitals in Devon.
The update saw two deaths confirmed Royal Devon and Exeter Hospital.
The NHS England figures do not include deaths that have taken place outside of hospital, such as in care homes.
You may also want to watch:
NHS England has announced 740 new deaths of people who tested positive for Covid-19, bringing the total number of confirmed reported deaths in hospitals in England to 12,396.
Of the 740 new deaths announced today:
- 1 Some North Devon GP surgeries to provide Covid vaccine clinics
- 2 Weather warning of snow and ice for Devon this weekend
- 3 Covid vaccine: Roll out continues but is North Devon being left out?
- 4 Exmoor Ramble legacy for legendary fundraiser as he battles terminal cancer
- 5 Farmer gets suspended sentence for tractor crash
- 6 Devon's Tiki surf brand is up for sale
- 7 Tributes to Ilfracombe's 30-year school governor
- 8 Plans to merge North Devon and Exeter health trusts move forward
- 9 Barnstaple man cleared of drug dealing charges
- 10 Northam murder suspect remanded in custody
- 151 occurred on April 15
- 314 occurred on April 14
- 122 occurred on April 13
The figures also show 143 of the deaths took place between April 1 and April 12, and the remaining 10 deaths occurred in March, with the earliest new death taking place on March 9.
NHS England releases updated figures each day showing the dates of every coronavirus-related death in hospitals in England, often including previously uncounted deaths that took place several days or even weeks ago. This is because of the time it takes for deaths to be confirmed as testing positive for Covid-19, for post-mortem examinations to be processed, and for data from the tests to be validated.
The figures published today by NHS England show that April 8 currently has the highest total for the most hospital deaths occurring on a single day - 782 - although this could change in future updates.