Farm girls to take on Great Wall
Epic China trek will raise money for new facilities at Barnstaple hospital
FOUR farmers’ daughters are leaving rural North Devon behind to take on an epic nine-day charity trek along the Great Wall of China.
Nicki Bellew and Felicity Reid, both 25, and 21-year-old twins Heather and Georgina Smoldon will be pushing their boundaries to the limits, when they hike from Badaling to Mutianyu in aid of the Northern Devon Healthcare Charitable Fund.
The money they raise will go towards a new chemotherapy unit and the Special Care Baby Unit at North Devon District Hospital in Barnstaple.
To boost their cause, the girls have organised a number of fund-raising events around North Devon throughout the coming months – including a horse manure sale!
You may also want to watch:
Other events will include coffee mornings, quiz nights, ferret racing, auctions and a summer ball, taking place at The Durrant House Hotel on August 20.
Nicki said: “As farmers’ daughters, our first success at fund-raising has been by advertising the manure. With some invaluable help, we were able to dig, bag and sell the horse dung.
- 1 MISSING: Police search for Peter Hughes from Combe Martin area
- 2 Aldi plans for three new stores in North Devon
- 3 'Kinky Boots' coming to Barnstaple's Queen's Theatre
- 4 North Devon charity organises Routes of Remembrance
- 5 Developer sponsors Shammy FC youth teams
- 6 'Neglected' North Devon taxi firm challenged by councillors
- 7 North Devon Healthcare trust scores high in patient survey
- 8 Firework display set to return to Barnstaple Rugby Club for 2021
- 9 Devon health boss 'concerned' at low Covid booster uptake
- 10 £2.1m upgrade will provide space for 38 new North Devon jobs
“But we have many more innovative fund-raising ideas tucked up our sleeves; now all we need is the support of people in North Devon to help us raise the money so badly needed for these two invaluable and life changing services.”
Tickets for the summer ball cost �30, including a three-course meal and live music. A pledges auction will also be held on the evening with donated items including holidays, golf passes, extreme watersport vouchers and gardening services.
For tickets or a more detailed events listing, email Nicki on email@example.com or telephone Felicity on 07814 520357 or (01271) 858546.
To sponsor the girls, visit their Just Giving webpage at www.justgiving.com/heather-smoldon