Fanfare sounded for cancer cause
Band making music for chemo appeal
SOUTH Molton Town Band will be making music next week to celebrate its centenary and to sound the trumpet for the North Devon Chemotherapy Appeal.
The band is holding a concert in the town’s market on the evening of Saturday, June 25, and half the proceeds will go to the chemotherapy appeal. It starts at 7pm, with admission �5 and children free.
Records show that the band originated in 1911 from South Molton members of the Volunteer Regimental Band.
The family orientated band has for the majority of its 100 years been conducted by a member of the Taylor family. From early years under John Taylor and his brother Fred, this has continued through John’s son Jack and Jack’s son Gil, who has been conducting on and off since 1968 and is the current conductor.
You may also want to watch:
Another long association is continued by current band treasurer Alan Briggs, whose grandfather William Courtenay was conductor in 1914 and a band member for 40 years.
The band continues to entertain people at concerts, carnivals, fetes, weddings and a variety of charitable fund raising events throughout the South West and beyond, including trips to South Molton’s twin town of Livarot in France.
- 1 Man dies after crash involving two lorries and a motorbike near Torrington
- 2 Woman reportedly assaulted at Bideford park - Police seek witnesses
- 3 Northam Murder: Judge tells jury to put aside emotion
- 4 Evidence of damage found at Iron Age monument near Ilfracombe
- 5 Northam murder suspect accused of telling a 'litany of lies' about killing
- 6 Man dies after 'single vehicle collision' on the A386
- 7 £60,000 street marshal investment to make North Devon safer
- 8 South Molton pub attacker must pay compensation after kicking customer in head
- 9 Six people injured in serious crash on A39 near Barnstaple - Police appeal
- 10 Busy thirteen days for Appledore RNLI
It also takes part in band contests, currently playing in the third section.
The band is self supporting and players travel from all over Devon to attend rehearsals and engagements. More members are always welcomed.
For more information go to www.southmoltontownband.org.uk