Family tribute to A386 crash victim
The family of Torrington man pay tribute to him following his death in a road collision on Monday
THE family of a Torrington man killed in a head-on collision on the A386 on Monday have paid tribute to “one of the kindest people you could ever wish to meet.”
Martin Stansfield, aged 50, was killed when his green Citroen Saxo was in collision with a black Ford S-Max people carrier on the road between Bideford and Torrington near the quarry at Weare Giffard.
Police have located a third vehicle, a lorry that they were keen to trace in connection with their enquires, and have interviewed the driver.
In a tribute released via the police, Martin’s family said: “He walked this earth gently, loving nature and respecting the environment.
You may also want to watch:
“He was famous for his hugs and smile, bringing joy to those around him. His greatest gift was allowing everyone to be exactly who they are.
“He will live on in the hearts of those that knew him, passing on the joy that he created.”
- 1 820 homes approved for Landkey despite council concern
- 2 Northam man who searched for child pornography sent on treatment course
- 3 PICTURES: Women 'Walk Taller Than The Trees' at Nightwalk 2021
- 4 Man seriously injured at Appledore Quay - Witness Appeal
- 5 Torridge launches Waste and Recycling Roadshows
- 6 PICTURES: Bideford 10k is back for 2021
- 7 Tributes paid to North Devon librarian Ian Tansley
- 8 Arts Council England announces support for North Devon
- 9 Dolton remembers resident Rolling Stone Charlie Watts
- 10 Sale of Bideford's Brunswick Wharf completed
Martin was pronounced dead at the scene following the 11.15am collision, while three of the six people who were travelling in the Ford remain in hospital.
Police said one man was in North Devon District Hospital recovering from serious but not life threatening injuries, while an elderly man and a woman remained at Derriford Hospital in Plymouth in a stable condition with non life threatening injuries.
They have issued a plea to motorists who may have been on that stretch of road to come forward, as they could be vital witnesses and would like to hear from anyone who may have seen either car prior to the collision or the collision itself.
Anyone with any information is asked to call police on 08452 777444, quoting log 215 040711.