Family fun day in memory of Bideford mum
Day of activities planned to remember Gemma and to raise awareness of mental health charity.
A YOUNG Bideford mum will be remembered at a special event being held to raise awareness of mental health issues on Saturday, November 24.
Friends and family of Gemma Cutler will gather at the Pier House in Westward Ho! for a day of fundraising in aid of the charity WAND.
Gemma, who was a care worker at Northam Lodge, took her own life in April 2008. She would have been 30 years old on December 3.
Cousin Emma Cutler, 31, said she wanted to raise awareness of WAND, which provides helpful support and information to those affected by mental health issues.
You may also want to watch:
She said: “I was the person Gemma always turned to but I found that there wasn’t enough support for me.
“It was tough going trying to get help and I didn’t know about WAND.
- 1 Brother told sister 'you're dead' after birthday party bust-up
- 2 Bideford Pannier Market offers traders new deal
- 3 Chaos guaranteed at the first Bideford Soapbox Derby
- 4 Torrington gears up for North Devon’s BIGGEST EVER Table Top Sale
- 5 Barnstaple Roundtable focuses on the importance of defibrillators
- 6 North Devon builders bums needed for charity calendar
- 7 Man with 'fearsome' ornamental knife arrested in Barnstaple
- 8 Assault and attempted robbery near Tarka Trail
- 9 PICTURES: New Bideford book merges old pictures with new
- 10 North Devon MP Selaine Saxby leads World Ocean Day debate
“I didn’t know how to act, what the next steps were or what to look out for and I want to raise awareness so that people like me know where to go to for support.”
Emma, a hairdresser from Bideford, has planned a family fun day, starting with children’s entertainment from 10am. Events throughout the day will include arts and crafts, hair braiding, a majorette show, lucky dip and raffle. Tickets are �2 per person and children go free.
The day will culminate in a special birthday party with live music for all those who knew and loved Gemma. Tickets for the evening bash are �5.