Falls Day fun in Barnstaple
Mobility scooter racing, tai chi with swords and zumba — plenty to see and do at April Falls Day event in Green Lanes Shopping Centre.
SHOPPERS were greeted by the sight of mobility-scooter races when they visited Green Lanes Shopping Centre in Barnstaple on Saturday.
There was also zumba dancing, music, tai chi with swords and much more as part of the April Falls Day event, organised by Devon Senior Voice to raise public awareness of the risk of falling to older people.
Carol McCormack, of DSV said the event had succeeded in reaching out to thousands of people of all ages.
“Falls can happen at any time to anyone, but they are particularly a cause of injuries and ill health amongst older people,” she said.
You may also want to watch:
“As well as advice, we wanted to give people hands-on demonstrations, allowing them to have a go because physical activity helps people to stay healthy and independent.
“The scooter races were hilarious, with members of the public taking part. One war veteran who rode a scooter screaming like a banshee was beaming when he won! Our vice-chairman also got the bit between her teeth and disappeared down the street.
- 1 PICTURES: New Bideford book merges old pictures with new
- 2 Man with 'fearsome' ornamental knife arrested in Barnstaple
- 3 Ilfracombe dressage star Caitlin Burgess pursues Olympic dream
- 4 Assault and attempted robbery near Tarka Trail
- 5 Man arrested after 'serious assault' outside Barnstaple nightclub
- 6 North Devon grandad takes on 700 mile cycling challenge
- 7 Drink driver banned after Ilfracombe Lidl crash
- 8 Surf trio take on epic surf paddle challenge in memory of best friends
- 9 Holsworthy conveyancer crowned Young Practitioner of the Year
- 10 HubHop - New shopping app for independent shops in North Devon
“The businesses and organisations who took part were pleased with the platform that we provided, and I’m glad that we showed how Devon Senior Voice is there to help people get more out of life.”