Falls Day fun in Barnstaple
Mobility scooter racing, tai chi with swords and zumba — plenty to see and do at April Falls Day event in Green Lanes Shopping Centre.
SHOPPERS were greeted by the sight of mobility-scooter races when they visited Green Lanes Shopping Centre in Barnstaple on Saturday.
There was also zumba dancing, music, tai chi with swords and much more as part of the April Falls Day event, organised by Devon Senior Voice to raise public awareness of the risk of falling to older people.
Carol McCormack, of DSV said the event had succeeded in reaching out to thousands of people of all ages.
“Falls can happen at any time to anyone, but they are particularly a cause of injuries and ill health amongst older people,” she said.
“As well as advice, we wanted to give people hands-on demonstrations, allowing them to have a go because physical activity helps people to stay healthy and independent.
“The scooter races were hilarious, with members of the public taking part. One war veteran who rode a scooter screaming like a banshee was beaming when he won! Our vice-chairman also got the bit between her teeth and disappeared down the street.
- 1 Two vehicle crash blocks Link Road near Barnstaple
- 2 Devon's special educational needs funding ‘broken’
- 3 7 Ways to work on North Devon's beaches in 2022 - Stephanie Conway
- 4 Go ahead for 211 homes but Bideford plans fall short on affordable homes
- 5 OPINION: An introduction from Torridge council leader Ken James
- 6 South Molton's top 10 rating for pannier market
- 7 Holiday firm's New Year gift for hospice
- 8 Remembering much-loved and once-heaving Ilfracombe train station
- 9 2021 was breakthrough year for Cancer and Wellbeing Fern Centre
- 10 Covid outbreaks in Devon’s care homes at highest level since pandemic began
“The businesses and organisations who took part were pleased with the platform that we provided, and I’m glad that we showed how Devon Senior Voice is there to help people get more out of life.”