Falls Day fun in Barnstaple
Mobility scooter racing, tai chi with swords and zumba — plenty to see and do at April Falls Day event in Green Lanes Shopping Centre.
SHOPPERS were greeted by the sight of mobility-scooter races when they visited Green Lanes Shopping Centre in Barnstaple on Saturday.
There was also zumba dancing, music, tai chi with swords and much more as part of the April Falls Day event, organised by Devon Senior Voice to raise public awareness of the risk of falling to older people.
Carol McCormack, of DSV said the event had succeeded in reaching out to thousands of people of all ages.
“Falls can happen at any time to anyone, but they are particularly a cause of injuries and ill health amongst older people,” she said.
You may also want to watch:
“As well as advice, we wanted to give people hands-on demonstrations, allowing them to have a go because physical activity helps people to stay healthy and independent.
“The scooter races were hilarious, with members of the public taking part. One war veteran who rode a scooter screaming like a banshee was beaming when he won! Our vice-chairman also got the bit between her teeth and disappeared down the street.
- 1 'No Fuel' - Panic buying and fuel shortages hit North Devon
- 2 £34,000 raised for plumber Jed Mason with stage four cancer in less than 48 hours
- 3 Celebrations as gate to Pilton's Manning's Pit officially opened
- 4 Clubber denies headbutt assault in Barnstaple
- 5 Staff at Wimpy Barnstaple receive special bonus
- 6 One of Bideford's oldest tea rooms sold at auction
- 7 North Devon MP Selaine Saxby receives parliamentary promotion
- 8 Dignitaries formally open Penrose Almshouses in Barnstaple
- 9 Mercy for Lynton farm shop keeper who grew cannabis
- 10 Extinction Rebellion celebrate Big Green Week in Barnstaple
“The businesses and organisations who took part were pleased with the platform that we provided, and I’m glad that we showed how Devon Senior Voice is there to help people get more out of life.”