Fabulous Fin is a multiple lifesaver
- Credit: Archant
The North Devon K9 Heroes Awards has prompted so many great stories K9 Focus and the North Devon Gazette would like to share them with you for a little longer...
THERE has been such a fantastic response to our appeal for entries in the new North Devon K9 Heroes awards that we have decided to keep the competition open a little longer.
Throughout February we will bring you some of the heartwarming stories readers have submitted about their beloved dogs and the good they do.
Plus we would love more of you to tell us about your special canine companions and enter them in the competition created by rescue charity K9 Focus in conjunction with the North Devon Gazette.
This week we meet Fin, a real lifesaver whose owner Carole Maitland from Roundswell has nominated for the Rescue to Hero category.
You may also want to watch:
“Fin came to me in 2006 after a short career in racing in Ireland, through a greyhound rescue charity,” she told us.
“My vet asked if I would like to put him on their blood donor register to help other dogs in need of blood. I agreed, and his blood was tested and found suitable.”
- 1 Northam Murder: Carer guilty of brutal murder of frail widow
- 2 Woman reportedly assaulted at Bideford park - Police seek witnesses
- 3 Man dies after 'single vehicle collision' on the A386
- 4 Man dies after crash involving two lorries and a motorbike near Torrington
- 5 Northam Murder: Judge tells jury to put aside emotion
- 6 Evidence of damage found at Iron Age monument near Ilfracombe
- 7 £60,000 street marshal investment to make North Devon safer
- 8 Northam murder suspect accused of telling a 'litany of lies' about killing
- 9 South Molton pub attacker must pay compensation after kicking customer in head
- 10 Six people injured in serious crash on A39 near Barnstaple - Police appeal
Not long after, Carole received an urgent call from her vet on Christmas Eve saying they desperately needed blood for a very sick dog and Fin was needed to donate.
The pair rushed over immediately, and the other dog’s life was saved. Since then Fin has given blood on several occasions, and although now too old to donate, he is of course cherished: “He is such a special gentle boy, who likes nothing more than sleeping on the sofa,” added Carole.
Nominate a dog for: Pawsome Company - any dog providing companionship.
Working Hero - any working dog.
Rescue to Hero – any rescued or rehomed dog that has gone on to prove itself heroically or bravely, in whatever way that might be.
Just Because - for any dog, just because you love them.
Send their story and a picture to firstname.lastname@example.org or by post to: K9 Heroes, C/O North Devon Gazette, Unit 3, Old Station Road, Barnstaple, EX32 8PB. Please include your address and a telephone number. We can only accept entries for dogs from within the North Devon area. The judges’ decision is final. New closing date: March 5.
K9 Focus relies on public help to keep going and anyone wishing to make a donation when they enter the competition is invited to visit www.k9focus.co.uk