Exmoor Zoo’s dawn chorus greets the patter of tiny feet
- Credit: Exmoor Zoo
Anyone living near Exmoor Zoo may have noticed a sudden change to the dawn chorus of its lar gibbons thanks to a new arrival.
The zoo’s pair of gibbons are the proud parents of a new baby and while mum Jasmine may go quiet for a time as she undertakes her new duties, dad Narumol is likely to be shouting from the rooftops even more vigorously.
The youngster was born on April 6, almost completely hairless, but is doing well and clinging on to mum, as he will do for the first few months of his life.
Narumol and Jasmine are a newly bonded pair, originating from Stuttgart in Germany and Broxbourne in Hertfordshire.
They have only been together for 16 months but the language barrier did not stop this couple from cementing their relationship.
You may also want to watch:
Jasmine is very protective of her baby and all that dad has been able to do is look.
Lar gibbons are a threatened species in the wilds of Asian countries such as Thailand and can only be found in National Parks where they are afforded some protection.
- 1 Man charged with murder of Northam pensioner
- 2 Council and police step up Covid enforcement in North Devon
- 3 Suspect remains in custody as Northam murder enquiry continues
- 4 Three more Covid deaths at North Devon District Hospital but cases are falling
- 5 Ram raid burglar jailed after rampaging crime spree
- 6 Developer 'lost for words' as town council rejects £20m Bideford wharf plans
- 7 Murder enquiry launched at Northam after death of elderly woman
- 8 Terrified shoppers fled Devon city centre attack
- 9 Sextortion warning for North Devon Facebook users
- 10 Covid-19: Follow the spirit of lockdown says police chief