Exeter unitary 'a piece of electioneering'
SIR - I was disgusted to see the Secretary of State s announcement of a new unitary Authority for Exeter. We were informed that there was only a limited range of options being reviewed by the Boundary Committee and this was not one of them, leaving Devo
SIR - I was disgusted to see the Secretary of State's announcement of a new unitary Authority for Exeter. We were informed that there was only a limited range of options being reviewed by the Boundary Committee and this was not one of them, leaving Devon County Council and the respective district councils to pick up the pieces in terms of how it might affect them - and the debts due to Exeter from county had better be passed over in full, too!
The good news is that the uncertainty affecting staff in the respective councils will now be behind them, but what a piece of electioneering this is, trying to create support for Ben Bradshaw down there in Exeter - and blow the cost!
I really hope that there is a judicial review and as a result, the process is kept on ice till after the election, when a Conservative Government will be able to kick it into touch. Even the threatened �200 each Council Tax rise for the average Exeter resident is likely to be enough to convince them that they need to vote Conservative as well.
In the meantime I commend the greater working-together in our councils which is already happening to cut costs and improve efficiency. This was a strategy I promoted from day one and there is much more that can be done in this quarter.
You may also want to watch:
Philip J Milton
Prospective Member of Parliament
- 1 Covid vaccine: Roll out continues but is North Devon being left out?
- 2 Some North Devon GP surgeries to provide Covid vaccine clinics
- 3 Exmoor Ramble legacy for legendary fundraiser as he battles terminal cancer
- 4 Plans to merge North Devon and Exeter health trusts move forward
- 5 Weather warning of snow and ice for Devon this weekend
- 6 Devon's Tiki surf brand is up for sale
- 7 Barnstaple man’s 5k-a-day challenge for children’s hospice
- 8 Barnstaple man cleared of drug dealing charges
- 9 Barnstaple man attacked his wife and neighbour after Christmas drink
- 10 Farmer gets suspended sentence for tractor crash
for North Devon