Exeter unitary 'a piece of electioneering'
SIR - I was disgusted to see the Secretary of State s announcement of a new unitary Authority for Exeter. We were informed that there was only a limited range of options being reviewed by the Boundary Committee and this was not one of them, leaving Devo
SIR - I was disgusted to see the Secretary of State's announcement of a new unitary Authority for Exeter. We were informed that there was only a limited range of options being reviewed by the Boundary Committee and this was not one of them, leaving Devon County Council and the respective district councils to pick up the pieces in terms of how it might affect them - and the debts due to Exeter from county had better be passed over in full, too!
The good news is that the uncertainty affecting staff in the respective councils will now be behind them, but what a piece of electioneering this is, trying to create support for Ben Bradshaw down there in Exeter - and blow the cost!
I really hope that there is a judicial review and as a result, the process is kept on ice till after the election, when a Conservative Government will be able to kick it into touch. Even the threatened �200 each Council Tax rise for the average Exeter resident is likely to be enough to convince them that they need to vote Conservative as well.
In the meantime I commend the greater working-together in our councils which is already happening to cut costs and improve efficiency. This was a strategy I promoted from day one and there is much more that can be done in this quarter.
You may also want to watch:
Philip J Milton
Prospective Member of Parliament
- 1 PICTURES: Prince of Wales and Duchess of Cornwall visit The Burton at Bideford
- 2 Jewellery and cash stolen in Barnstaple burglary
- 3 Northam Murder: Accused carer told police he 'loved her to bits'
- 4 Rosemoor transforms into Wonderland for the summer holidays
- 5 Bideford man dies after Link Road crash near South Molton
- 6 PICTURES: Duchess of Cornwall visits Little Bridge House in Fremington
- 7 Britain’s most influential artists exhibit at The Burton at Bideford
- 8 GPs in Devon seeing more patients face-to-face than UK average
- 9 Northam widow was found half under her bed by carer
- 10 A361: Crash involving car and lorry blocks Link Road near South Molton
for North Devon