Exeter unitary 'a piece of electioneering'
SIR - I was disgusted to see the Secretary of State s announcement of a new unitary Authority for Exeter. We were informed that there was only a limited range of options being reviewed by the Boundary Committee and this was not one of them, leaving Devo
SIR - I was disgusted to see the Secretary of State's announcement of a new unitary Authority for Exeter. We were informed that there was only a limited range of options being reviewed by the Boundary Committee and this was not one of them, leaving Devon County Council and the respective district councils to pick up the pieces in terms of how it might affect them - and the debts due to Exeter from county had better be passed over in full, too!
The good news is that the uncertainty affecting staff in the respective councils will now be behind them, but what a piece of electioneering this is, trying to create support for Ben Bradshaw down there in Exeter - and blow the cost!
I really hope that there is a judicial review and as a result, the process is kept on ice till after the election, when a Conservative Government will be able to kick it into touch. Even the threatened �200 each Council Tax rise for the average Exeter resident is likely to be enough to convince them that they need to vote Conservative as well.
In the meantime I commend the greater working-together in our councils which is already happening to cut costs and improve efficiency. This was a strategy I promoted from day one and there is much more that can be done in this quarter.
You may also want to watch:
Philip J Milton
Prospective Member of Parliament
- 1 Yelland power station development set for approval despite 700 objections
- 2 Schizophrenic mugger sent to mental unit after Barnstaple robbery
- 3 Search for missing Ilfracombe woman Hannah Peacock continues
- 4 Crooked party leader with ties to Bideford was a serial conman
- 5 The boy in the tent Max Woosey receives prestigious award
- 6 Old Tannery in South Molton to be turned into new homes
- 7 Drug driver banned after crashing during chase through North Devon
- 8 Mercy for man who took part in Bideford Quay affray
- 9 Jail for toothache attacker in North Molton
- 10 Finance manager jailed for stealing almost £1m from Witheridge company
for North Devon