Excellent work by RNLI
SIR - May I express my appreciation to the RNLI and all the lifeguards for the exceptional work they do saving lives on our beaches and off our coastline.
From the Gazette article ‘Lifeguards rescue 120 people during huge surf week’ it is clear that many people at Croyde and Woolacombe owe their lives to them.
The strong rip currents at Croyde are well known and lifeguards put their own lives at risk every time they go into the water to rescue others who are in difficulty.
Quite amazingly, in the same edition of the Gazette (Aug 22) headlines read ‘RNLI Rescues Kayak Group’.
I’m sure I speak for everyone in North Devon and especially our holiday makers when I say we are all so grateful for their selfless dedication to saving lives.
You may also want to watch:
I personally also have another reason to be indebted to Robbie Lamb who is the RNLI supervisor for Bude, Torridge and North Devon.
Mr Lamb explained to me that some 60 lifeguards spend eight-hours every day on the beach. They do IRB (boat) training out by Morte Point regularly and have been keeping a log of sightings of harbour porpoises.
- 1 County Council Elections: Candidates for North Devon
- 2 County Council Elections: Candidates for Torridge
- 3 Devon County Council Elections: Candidate lists for North Devon and Torridge
- 4 Candidates for police and crime commissioner have their say
- 5 Police appeal after Barnstaple brawl
- 6 New Barnstaple restaurant offers Fine Dining at Home
- 7 Big opening-day wins for Bideford and Braunton
- 8 Dog Restrictions come into force on Westward Ho! Beach
- 9 Ilfracombe Drive-In Cinema returns this May
- 10 Pensioner gets suspended sentence for 'unspeakable abuse images'
Apparently there are more numbers of these mammals than anyone had imagined! I cannot explain how genuinely delighted I am, that Mr Lamb and such a highly regarded team of dedicated spotters and life savers have entrusted me with such precious and important statistics. I have already forwarded them to the European Commission in Brussels as well as to M/s Heidrun Frisch, ASCOBANS Coordinator, CMS Marine Mammals Officer in Bonn, Germany.
Our Group will continue to work towards raising the profile of our Harbour Porpoises and campaigning to get our government and the EU to give more protection to these wonderful creatures. Congratulations all round to these guys. Your information is incredibly important. Thank you!
Joanne Bell, press officer, ‘Save our Marine Mammals’, West Yelland.