Ex-world champion takes over Barnstaple fitness club
A FORMER world and five times British champion powerlifter is planning to raise the bar at a well-known Barnstaple fitness club. Steve Middleton, 39, from Surrey has fulfilled a lifetime ambition of setting up his own business by taking over the Floor On
A FORMER world and five times British champion powerlifter is planning to raise the bar at a well-known Barnstaple fitness club.
Steve Middleton, 39, from Surrey has fulfilled a lifetime ambition of setting up his own business by taking over the Floor One Fitness Club in Gammon Walk.
He plans to refurbish the club and expand its classes and its services.
Steve also hopes to set up a local powerlifting group - and to organise a Strongman charity event that will attract some big names in the sport.
You may also want to watch:
Steve made headlines in the world of powerlifting by taking the world title in Belgium in 2006 and the British title five times, all in the 110kg class.
He has also represented Great Britain at international level for 12 years.
- 1 Northam Murder: Accused carer told police he 'loved her to bits'
- 2 PICTURES: Prince of Wales and Duchess of Cornwall visit The Burton at Bideford
- 3 Jewellery and cash stolen in Barnstaple burglary
- 4 PICTURES: Duchess of Cornwall visits Little Bridge House in Fremington
- 5 Bideford man dies after Link Road crash near South Molton
- 6 Rosemoor transforms into Wonderland for the summer holidays
- 7 'Spot The Oddity' in Bideford for your chance to win £100
- 8 Britain’s most influential artists exhibit at The Burton at Bideford
- 9 £100K funding to Torridge towns to support recovery post Covid-19
- 10 A361: Crash involving car and lorry blocks Link Road near South Molton
His impressive statistics for the powerlifting disciplines show personal bests of 385kg in the squat, 252.5kg in the bench press - until recently a British record - and 325kg in the deadlift.
Formerly working as a baggage handler at Heathrow Airport as well as providing personal training courses for clients in London, Steve has always wanted his own gym.
With the venture into his own business at Floor One Fitness his aim is to promote the healthy living lifestyle and a friendly, family atmosphere, he said.
"I want to fulfil my ambition in life, to make it a success and to meet friendly people.
"I love this beautiful part of the world and the people are very friendly. It is also nice to find an individual town, where there are still independent family businesses.
"This is the kind of personal touch which I want to keep."
While maintaining all the popular classes he was planning to add more, to refurbish the club, upgrade and expand its equipment and to help promote and nurture local talent, he said.