Ex-world champion takes over Barnstaple fitness club
A FORMER world and five times British champion powerlifter is planning to raise the bar at a well-known Barnstaple fitness club. Steve Middleton, 39, from Surrey has fulfilled a lifetime ambition of setting up his own business by taking over the Floor On
A FORMER world and five times British champion powerlifter is planning to raise the bar at a well-known Barnstaple fitness club.
Steve Middleton, 39, from Surrey has fulfilled a lifetime ambition of setting up his own business by taking over the Floor One Fitness Club in Gammon Walk.
He plans to refurbish the club and expand its classes and its services.
Steve also hopes to set up a local powerlifting group - and to organise a Strongman charity event that will attract some big names in the sport.
You may also want to watch:
Steve made headlines in the world of powerlifting by taking the world title in Belgium in 2006 and the British title five times, all in the 110kg class.
He has also represented Great Britain at international level for 12 years.
- 1 Man wielding knife arrested in Barnstaple park
- 2 Date set for reopening of Bideford Pannier Market
- 3 iLab marks 10th birthday with pledge to raise £10,000 for North Devon Hospice
- 4 Rapid coronavirus tests now available across Devon
- 5 Braunton farmer admits ploughing up 'semi natural' land
- 6 Mystery over Barnstaple builder's death
- 7 Prom schoolgirl killed as she crossed road near Trimstone
- 8 Grand National: ones to watch in 'race that stops a nation'
- 9 North Devon high streets get set to welcome residents back
- 10 Veterans Charity to host Charity Car Wash at Barnstaple HQ
His impressive statistics for the powerlifting disciplines show personal bests of 385kg in the squat, 252.5kg in the bench press - until recently a British record - and 325kg in the deadlift.
Formerly working as a baggage handler at Heathrow Airport as well as providing personal training courses for clients in London, Steve has always wanted his own gym.
With the venture into his own business at Floor One Fitness his aim is to promote the healthy living lifestyle and a friendly, family atmosphere, he said.
"I want to fulfil my ambition in life, to make it a success and to meet friendly people.
"I love this beautiful part of the world and the people are very friendly. It is also nice to find an individual town, where there are still independent family businesses.
"This is the kind of personal touch which I want to keep."
While maintaining all the popular classes he was planning to add more, to refurbish the club, upgrade and expand its equipment and to help promote and nurture local talent, he said.