England loses out on penalities in Euro 2020 final
- Credit: PA
England’s dreams of European glory were shattered last night as Italy lifted the Euro 2020 crown at Wembley after dreaded penalties.
It all started so well for the Three Lions - who were looking for their first taste of triumph since the legendary 1966 World Cup victory - when Luke Shaw gave them the lead with a well-struck shot from close range before two minutes were on the clock.
But the Italians struck back with a Bonucci equaliser after 66 minutes.
The visitors then took control for large parts of the game as England struggled to gain any momentum.
It went to penalties which have proved to be England’s undoing on so many occasions.
You may also want to watch:
Jordan Pickford saved two penalties but Rashford, Sancho and finally young Saka missed for England.
Italy were 3-2 winners on penalties. The dream was over. There were tears in the crowd and across the nation. Football wasn’t coming home.
- 1 Vandalism at Bideford's Brunswick Wharf development condemned
- 2 Cyclist left with ‘serious head injuries’ after incident in Bideford
- 3 Real ice rink coming to Barnstaple Christmas Village
- 4 North Devon architectural practice appoints new director
- 5 Fangtastic half-term Halloween fun at Yeo Valley Woodland
- 6 Firework display set to return to Barnstaple Rugby Club for 2021
- 7 Bid for £34 million to improve Devon's bus services submitted
- 8 New app 'Dscvr' promoting North Devon town centres set to launch
- 9 Torrington woman rebuilds her life after devastating stroke
- 10 Legg Power in ChemoHero fundraising