England cricketer opens sports facilities at North Molton
BRAND new facilities at North Molton Sports and Community Centre were officially opened by former by England test cricketer Marcus Trescothick on Friday. The Somerset County Cricket Club vice-captain unveiled a special plaque in memory of Bill Rumsham, wh
BRAND new facilities at North Molton Sports and Community Centre were officially opened by former by England test cricketer Marcus Trescothick on Friday.
The Somerset County Cricket Club vice-captain unveiled a special plaque in memory of Bill Rumsham, who built the club house in 1985 and the sports hall in 1997.
The project to provide new toilets and changing rooms for the centre was made possible using a grant for �64,000 from North Devon Council as well as grants from other organisations along with a lot of hard work and fundraising by members of the sports club. They are already proving to be a success with more than 1,000 people making use of them since they were completed in August.
Councillor Richard Edgell, ward Member for North Molton, said: "The whole project has been a true community effort since conception in 1985 to provide these outstanding facilities and wonderful club.
"Last summer the club held a clay pigeon shoot and auction which raised �21,000. I was very pleased to be able to help facilitate the grant from North Devon Council towards the cost of these latest much needed facilities."
Cllr Dick Jones, Lead Member for Community and Leisure, added: "It is great to see sports facilities being made such good use of that they are expanding to meet demand.
- 1 Popular character Joan dies at 92
- 2 Rishi's thumbs up to £60m investment and 200 new jobs
- 3 Why Lorna gave up working from an office to build a business around passion for surfing
- 4 These companies are out to tempt you before you're out of nappies
- 5 Young Jack strides out again for charity
- 6 Urgent appeal goes out to help keep teenagers off the streets
- 7 Tennis ace Eric follows in Max's fund-raising footsteps
- 8 Village halls offered cash helping hand in Covid battle
- 9 Small steps of hope for Bideford and Barnstaple
- 10 OPINION: The North Devon Hospice has come so far
"North Devon Council aims to help deliver projects within local communities which will be of benefit and improve the quality of life for residents."
The opening was followed by a dinner dance, with the proceeds going to the Children's Hospice South West, the chosen charity of Marcus Trescothick.