England cricketer opens sports facilities at North Molton
BRAND new facilities at North Molton Sports and Community Centre were officially opened by former by England test cricketer Marcus Trescothick on Friday. The Somerset County Cricket Club vice-captain unveiled a special plaque in memory of Bill Rumsham, wh
BRAND new facilities at North Molton Sports and Community Centre were officially opened by former by England test cricketer Marcus Trescothick on Friday.
The Somerset County Cricket Club vice-captain unveiled a special plaque in memory of Bill Rumsham, who built the club house in 1985 and the sports hall in 1997.
The project to provide new toilets and changing rooms for the centre was made possible using a grant for �64,000 from North Devon Council as well as grants from other organisations along with a lot of hard work and fundraising by members of the sports club. They are already proving to be a success with more than 1,000 people making use of them since they were completed in August.
Councillor Richard Edgell, ward Member for North Molton, said: "The whole project has been a true community effort since conception in 1985 to provide these outstanding facilities and wonderful club.
You may also want to watch:
"Last summer the club held a clay pigeon shoot and auction which raised �21,000. I was very pleased to be able to help facilitate the grant from North Devon Council towards the cost of these latest much needed facilities."
Cllr Dick Jones, Lead Member for Community and Leisure, added: "It is great to see sports facilities being made such good use of that they are expanding to meet demand.
- 1 Northam Murder: Carer guilty of brutal murder of frail widow
- 2 Woman reportedly assaulted at Bideford park - Police seek witnesses
- 3 Man dies after 'single vehicle collision' on the A386
- 4 Man dies after crash involving two lorries and a motorbike near Torrington
- 5 Northam Murder: Judge tells jury to put aside emotion
- 6 Evidence of damage found at Iron Age monument near Ilfracombe
- 7 Barnstaple Fair set to return for 2021 - 'May the show go on!'
- 8 £60,000 street marshal investment to make North Devon safer
- 9 Lockdown breaker caught dealing cannabis in Barnstaple
- 10 Plan for 173 homes on Torrington Creamery site approved despite no affordable homes
"North Devon Council aims to help deliver projects within local communities which will be of benefit and improve the quality of life for residents."
The opening was followed by a dinner dance, with the proceeds going to the Children's Hospice South West, the chosen charity of Marcus Trescothick.