End of an era as last butcher leaves butchers Row
THE last butcher in Butcher s Row, Bideford, hung up his apron at the weekend. Fred Babb and his wife, Barbara, had run a shop there for more than 40 years, continuing a family tradition in the same premises stretching back at least 90 years. Having pass
THE last butcher in Butcher's Row, Bideford, hung up his apron at the weekend.
Fred Babb and his wife, Barbara, had run a shop there for more than 40 years, continuing a family tradition in the same premises stretching back at least 90 years.
Having passed retirement age - Mr Babb is 69 - the couple have ended their long association with Bideford Pannier Market, but are continuing with their butcher's shop in their home village of Buckland Brewer, where they also farm.
Fellow traders at the market presented Mr and Mrs Babb with a framed picture of a rainbow arch over Bideford and its two man-made bridges by local photographer Graham Hobbs and a bouquet.
You may also want to watch:
Mayor of Bideford Cllr Andy Powell paid tribute to the couple and recounted his own early days as a butcher's boy.
He said: "In these days of obscene pressures on family life, where both parents have to work and where our children have so much less time for innocence, it is thanks to butchers like Mr Babb that families can still come together and be a family. They do so for that greatest of English traditions, Sunday dinner. I have worked it out, Mr Babb, that in 40 years, you have prepared Sunday dinners for the families of Bideford 2,080 times.
- 1 Council and police step up Covid enforcement in North Devon
- 2 Man charged with murder of Northam pensioner
- 3 Three more Covid deaths at North Devon District Hospital but cases are falling
- 4 Terrified shoppers fled Devon city centre attack
- 5 Ram raid burglar jailed after rampaging crime spree
- 6 Suspect remains in custody as Northam murder enquiry continues
- 7 There's light at the end of the tunnel - but for now embrace lockdown life
- 8 Developer 'lost for words' as town council rejects £20m Bideford wharf plans
- 9 Covid-19: Follow the spirit of lockdown says police chief
- 10 Murder enquiry launched at Northam after death of elderly woman