Emily chosen for big day in May
- Credit: Archant
Torrington chooses its 83rd May Queen for May Fair on Thursday, May 2.
TORRINGTON May Fair on Thursday, May 2 will see the continuation of a proud community tradition as new generations take their place in the May Queen’s royal entourage.
Emily Tyrrell has been chosen as the 83rd queen, joined by fellow Great Torrington Junior School pupils Jack Margarotto and Sam Hill as heralds and Evie West as crowner.
Her attendants will be Maisie Ryan, Ellie James, Amy Watson, Abigail Crouch, Chloe Mayne, Saffron Sanders, Ruby Vallely and Scarlet Wise.
Seven of the 12 have family members who took part in previous May Fairs – in Jack’s case, his sister, mum and grand mother were all May Queens, while his dad was a herald.
You may also want to watch:
Their costumes — with the theme a closely guarded secret — have been created this year by dressmaker Julie Evans.
The annual May Fair celebration takes place on the first Thursday in May, complete with the crowning of the May Queen plus Maypole and floral dancing in the town square. It was first held in 1554.
- 1 Northam Murder: 'Merciless' carer gets life for killing client who caught him stealing
- 2 Barnstaple Fair set to return for 2021 - 'May the show go on!'
- 3 Northam Murder: Carer guilty of brutal murder of frail widow
- 4 Man dies after 'single vehicle collision' on the A386
- 5 Man dies after crash involving two lorries and a motorbike near Torrington
- 6 Woman reportedly assaulted at Bideford park - Police seek witnesses
- 7 Evidence of damage found at Iron Age monument near Ilfracombe
- 8 Appledore RNLI's Matt Rowe passes out as lifeboat mechanic
- 9 Six people injured in serious crash on A39 near Barnstaple - Police appeal
- 10 Plan for 173 homes on Torrington Creamery site approved despite no affordable homes
The Fair culminates with the Torrington Carnival procession on the following Saturday night.