Emily chosen for big day in May
- Credit: Archant
Torrington chooses its 83rd May Queen for May Fair on Thursday, May 2.
TORRINGTON May Fair on Thursday, May 2 will see the continuation of a proud community tradition as new generations take their place in the May Queen’s royal entourage.
Emily Tyrrell has been chosen as the 83rd queen, joined by fellow Great Torrington Junior School pupils Jack Margarotto and Sam Hill as heralds and Evie West as crowner.
Her attendants will be Maisie Ryan, Ellie James, Amy Watson, Abigail Crouch, Chloe Mayne, Saffron Sanders, Ruby Vallely and Scarlet Wise.
Seven of the 12 have family members who took part in previous May Fairs – in Jack’s case, his sister, mum and grand mother were all May Queens, while his dad was a herald.
You may also want to watch:
Their costumes — with the theme a closely guarded secret — have been created this year by dressmaker Julie Evans.
The annual May Fair celebration takes place on the first Thursday in May, complete with the crowning of the May Queen plus Maypole and floral dancing in the town square. It was first held in 1554.
- 1 Cyclist left with ‘serious head injuries’ after incident in Bideford
- 2 Vandalism at Bideford's Brunswick Wharf development condemned
- 3 Real ice rink coming to Barnstaple Christmas Village
- 4 North Devon architectural practice appoints new director
- 5 Volunteers come together to spruce up Barnstaple Train Station
- 6 New app 'Dscvr' promoting North Devon town centres set to launch
- 7 Murder investigation launched in Bideford after woman found dead
- 8 Bid for £34 million to improve Devon's bus services submitted
- 9 Firework display set to return to Barnstaple Rugby Club for 2021
- 10 Legg Power in ChemoHero fundraising
The Fair culminates with the Torrington Carnival procession on the following Saturday night.