Electricity pole bursts into flames at Croyde

FIRE fighters were called out to Croyde on Saturday morning after a pole carrying electric cables burst into flame.

The alarming incident occurred just before 10am on the beach footpath behind Billy Budd’s pub.

A Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue Service spokesman said it appeared wind had blown a cable from its ceramic mount onto the ground, in turn setting three quarters of the pole on fire.

A cordon was set up to prevent anyone getting too close to the live electrical cable while Western Power dealt with the incident.

The utility company was obliged to erect a new pole to replace the damaged one and some nearby properties were without power for around two hours whilst the lines were reconnected, he said.


You may also want to watch:


Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus