Electrfying warning from council
FROM completely re-wiring a house to putting in a new socket - people planning electrical work are being urged to make sure they do so correctly and ensure they use a competent electrician. North Devon Council is reminding homeowners they are legally requ
FROM completely re-wiring a house to putting in a new socket - people planning electrical work are being urged to make sure they do so correctly and ensure they use a competent electrician.
North Devon Council is reminding homeowners they are legally required to go through the authority before starting certain electrical work.
It follows a recent case where electrics done at a house in Barnstaple didn't meet safety standards, with neither the owner nor electrician aware they had to go through the council.
Councillor Colin Wright, Lead Member for Planning, said: "It is essential people tell us of any electrical work, to make sure they comply with building regulations.
You may also want to watch:
"Not only does it mean we can ensure those doing the work are competent, but it also means you won't run the risk of us having to take legal action against you, which could result in a fine of up to �5,000."
The need to inform the council of certain electrical work follows a law that came into force in 2005.
- 1 Devon's Tiki surf brand is up for sale
- 2 Northam murder suspect remanded in custody
- 3 Tributes to Ilfracombe's 30-year school governor
- 4 Council and police step up Covid enforcement in North Devon
- 5 Man charged with murder of Northam pensioner
- 6 Suspect remains in custody as Northam murder enquiry continues
- 7 Murder enquiry launched at Northam after death of elderly woman
- 8 Three more Covid deaths at North Devon District Hospital but cases are falling
- 9 Terrified shoppers fled Devon city centre attack
- 10 Sextortion warning for North Devon Facebook users
It also sets out how homeowners can either employ a person or firm registered under a Competent Persons Scheme to carry out the work, or give notice to the council or an approved inspector of their intention to carry out work and give notice for an inspection before work begins.
The council's Building Control Service has produced advice notes to help people understand and comply with regulations. These are available on the council website at www.northdevon.gov.uk/buildingcontrol. Customers can also email email@example.com for further advice.