Eco-friendly homes for Chivenor Marines
DEFENCE Estates (DE) has completed 10 new eco-friendly houses at Royal Marines Base (RMB) Chivenor – helping a forces families to save money, reduce their carbon footprint and enjoy a more comfortable home. Working with industry partner Debut Services,
DEFENCE Estates (DE) has completed 10 new 'eco-friendly' houses at Royal Marines Base (RMB) Chivenor - helping a forces' families to save money, reduce their carbon footprint and enjoy a more comfortable home.
Working with industry partner Debut Services, DE has provided the properties with a highly 'green' specification. This means they meet exacting eco-standards - Level 4 on the national Code for Sustainable Homes.
The 10 new semi-detached, four-bedroomed family houses provide accommodation to support the forecast increase in numbers of 24 Commando Engineer Regiment (24 CER) in the near future.
24 CER, based at RMB Chivenor, is a fighting force of Commando trained Royal Engineers, optimised as an amphibious formation with the unique ability to rapidly deploy around the world in support of 3 Commando Brigade Royal Marines.
You may also want to watch:
With a hybrid timber frame structure, brick and timber cladding and a concrete tile roof, the new properties are very well insulated. They have been designed to optimise energy efficiency and incorporate various sustainable features such as a solar panel water heating system linked to a low energy gas boiler.
Water conservation measures include the provision of water buttes for rainwater collection, meters and flow restrictors.
- 1 County Council Elections: Candidates for North Devon
- 2 Police appeal after Barnstaple brawl
- 3 New Barnstaple restaurant offers Fine Dining at Home
- 4 County Council Elections: Candidates for Torridge
- 5 Devon County Council Elections: Candidate lists for North Devon and Torridge
- 6 Dog Restrictions come into force on Westward Ho! Beach
- 7 Candidates for police and crime commissioner have their say
- 8 Ilfracombe Drive-In Cinema returns this May
- 9 Pensioner gets suspended sentence for 'unspeakable abuse images'
- 10 New food delivery service launched in Barnstaple
The outside of the houses was designed to withstand the windy location and exceed Building Regulations requirements for air-tightness and thermal insulation. During the construction phase pre-fabrication of some elements was carried out off-site which reduced waste and facilitated more rapid construction.