Early parking Christmas present from Torridge District Council
TORRIDGE District Council is offering free parking in its town s pay and display car parks in the run-up-to Christmas. In consultation with local town councils and Chamber of Commerce, free parking days have been chosen to coincide with key events in the
TORRIDGE District Council is offering free parking in its town's pay and display car parks in the run-up-to Christmas.
In consultation with local town councils and Chamber of Commerce, free parking days have been chosen to coincide with key events in the local festive calendar, starting this Friday in Northam, Appledore and Westward Ho!
On Saturday, there's free parking in Bideford, and on Wednesday, December 16 it's the turn of Holsworthy. Torrington's free parking day will coincide with the town's Turkey day on Christmas Eve.
It is hoped the initiative will encourage people to shop locally this Christmas. Car parks included are all those run by Torridge District Council
You may also want to watch:
Councillor Geoff Lee, the district council's Lead Member for Parking Services, said: "More and more people are realising the benefits of shopping locally, and Christmas is the perfect time to back local businesses and to find all kinds of unique gift ideas.
"Small shops and businesses are the cornerstones of the Torridge economy, and we know that many are facing difficulties during this period.
- 1 Some North Devon GP surgeries to provide Covid vaccine clinics
- 2 Covid vaccine: Roll out continues but is North Devon being left out?
- 3 Weather warning of snow and ice for Devon this weekend
- 4 Exmoor Ramble legacy for legendary fundraiser as he battles terminal cancer
- 5 Farmer gets suspended sentence for tractor crash
- 6 Barnstaple man attacked his wife and neighbour after Christmas drink
- 7 Three more Covid deaths at North Devon District Hospital but cases are falling
- 8 Devon's Tiki surf brand is up for sale
- 9 Plans to merge North Devon and Exeter health trusts move forward
- 10 Tributes to Ilfracombe's 30-year school governor
"The council is looking to save significant amounts of money in the coming months and years but is still sensitive to the needs of local residents and businesses. Offering free parking to shoppers before Christmas is just one initiative that the council is offering as a gesture of goodwill in these difficult times.