Duke’s visit honours Barnstaple remembrance concert
The Duke of Gloucester attends special night at the Queen’s Theatre
THE Duke of Gloucester visited Barnstaple to attend a Festival of Remembrance Concert, in aid of ABF The Soldiers’ Charity and the Royal British Legion, at the Queen’s Theatre, yesterday (Sunday).
The sell-out concert, which was first staged in 1995 to commemorate the 50th anniversary of VE and VJ day, featured the Band of The Prince of Wales’s Division, which has played at homecomings and medal parades, as well as performing in front of The Queen.
The Barnstaple Youth Marching Band, which currently leads the Remembrance Parade in the town, took to the stage, along with the North Devon Pipes and Drums and the Barnstaple Ladies’ Choir.
It was billed as a night of memorable military, highland and choral music. The evening featured a service and act of remembrance, including North Devon’s own Last Night complete with Rule Britannia and Land of Hope & Glory.
You may also want to watch:
The Soldiers’ Charity Devon chairman, Brigadier Christopher Lunn, said the festival was “honoured” by Duke’s attendance.
“His visit is not only an acknowledgement of the important work that both charities do in providing help and support to former and serving Service personnel and their families, but it is also a recognition of the hard work and effort that the organisers have put into this event for the last 16 years,” he said.
- 1 'No Fuel' - Panic buying and fuel shortages hit North Devon
- 2 £34,000 raised for plumber Jed Mason with stage four cancer in less than 48 hours
- 3 One of Bideford's oldest tea rooms sold at auction
- 4 Clubber denies headbutt assault in Barnstaple
- 5 Brunswick Wharf developer given grant money to fix quay wall
- 6 New details on Barnstaple town centre regeneration revealed
- 7 Barnstaple dealer says £3,100 stash in loft was poor quality
- 8 Opening of new nature reserve in Lynton
- 9 Homeless man jailed after attacking Barnstaple soldier in McDonald's
- 10 Celebrations as gate to Pilton's Manning's Pit officially opened