‘Alien invasion’ expert among the headliners at Appledore Book Festival
- Credit: Archant
An alien invasion expert will be among the authors headlining the first ever drive-in Appledore Book Festival.
The festival begins tomorrow on Thursday, September 17 with a special opening night featuring celebrity chef Ainsley Harriott and runs for five days at its venue of Skern Lodge, Appledore.
Among the headliners will be naturalist, writer, environmental consultant and wildlife film-maker Dan Eatherley, who will be on stage on Sunday, September 20 with Devon ecologist Pete Yeo as Dan talks about his book Britain’s Invasive Aliens.
The remarkable story of how non-native species ‘invaded’ and colonised the British Isles covers everything from rabbits and Japanese knotweed to snowdrops and parrakeets.
The event is thought to be the first-ever drive-in book festival and Dan admitted it was his first book festival apart from Exeter Literary Festival last year.
You may also want to watch:
He said: “It’s going to feel a bit weird; I don’t really know what to expect. I have the vision of people in America in the 1950s going to drive-in movies, but I am looking forward to it.
“If people like what they are hearing perhaps they can toot their horn or move their wipers so I can get some feedback.”
- 1 Knapp House must pay £90,000 for pool death of George Miller
- 2 Funding confirmed for work on 'dangerous' North Devon road
- 3 £11 million bid to get Barnstaple's heart beating again
- 4 Plans for 350 new homes in Ilfracombe recommended for approval
- 5 Novelty balloon race fundraiser for North Devon Hospice
- 6 Work on new North Devon leisure centre remains on schedule
- 7 Van and motorcycle collision causing 'heavy traffic' in Barnstaple
- 8 Two men deny attempted murder of man stabbed in Ilfracombe park
- 9 Shocked widow finds drunken sailor asleep in her Bideford home
- 10 Barnstaple fugitive who skipped court to get drunk jailed
He will be joining a stellar line-up including farmer, entrepreneur and television presenter Kate Humble; producer, presenter and writer, Richard Osman, Loose Women presenter and former Coronation Street star, Shobna Gulati and author, playwright and former Children’s Laureate, Michael Morpurgo.
Also taking part is international best-selling novelist Adele Parks, award-winning science journalist, Dr Michael Mosley, actor, former MEP, gay rights campaigner and life peer, Lord Michael Cashman, comedian Lucy Porter and comedian and broadcaster, Viv Groskop. There is also a former British Ambassador to the US, Sir Kim Darroch, broadcaster and commentator, Iain Dale, Yorkshire shepherdess, Amanda Owen, international novelist, SJ Waston and, of course, the festival’s very own patron, author and broadcaster, Jeremy Vine.
Appledore Book Festival is working with Waggle Events to deliver the event.
There will be toilets on site and food and drink can be pre-ordered when booking. It is a ticket only event, available at www.appledorebookfestival.co.uk or call the Box Office on 01237 424949.