Drink drive arrests rise during Christmas crackdown
Drink driving up but accidents down during month-long police campaign.
DEVON and Cornwall Police figures show an increase in the number of people who failed breath tests during the Christmas period.
There was a 38 per cent rise in positive breath tests throughout the force area compared with the previous year.
In total, 216 drivers were over the legal limit, 72 of whom were under the age of 25.
The newly-released figures show that there were 1,527 collisions during the month-long drink/drugs driving campaign, compared to 1,960 the year before.
You may also want to watch:
The Gazette asked police to see figures for North Devon but was told a breakdown of results for individual areas was unavailable.
From December 1 to January 1, officers carried out a number of evening and early morning patrols supported by the Special Constabulary and PCSOs.
- 1 Man dies after crash involving two lorries and a motorbike near Torrington
- 2 Northam murder suspect accused of telling a 'litany of lies' about killing
- 3 Evidence of damage found at Iron Age monument near Ilfracombe
- 4 South Molton pub attacker must pay compensation after kicking customer in head
- 5 £60,000 street marshal investment to make North Devon safer
- 6 Plan for 173 homes on Torrington Creamery site approved despite no affordable homes
- 7 Crash and assault in Ilfracombe - Police appeal
- 8 Six people injured in serious crash on A39 near Barnstaple - Police appeal
- 9 Busy thirteen days for Appledore RNLI
- 10 Changes to reporting planning breaches in North Devon
Inspector Richard Pryce said: “There are some mixed results from this year’s campaign.
“While we are pleased to see the drop in the number of collisions on our roads, we are disappointed with the increase in the number of positive breath tests.
“It is clearer now that educational campaigns in drink/drug driving must be directed even more at the younger driver age group – we have to get our message across.
A similar drink-drive campaign will take place in the summer.