Dramatic Ilfracombe rescues by land and sea
Rescue Day 2011 showcases the crucial work of the region’s emergency services
THE sound of sirens blared across Ilfracombe on Wednesday as the region’s emergency services swung into action in a series of dramatic operations from a road traffic accident to a coastal cliff drama.
It was of course Rescue Day, the annual charity event organised by Ilfracombe Round Table to showcase the work of those who save lives.
The police, fire and ambulance services were joined by the RNLI, HM Coastguard plus Exmoor Search and Rescue. Also on hand were the Red Cross, Devon 4x4, National Blood Service, Devon Air Ambulance, Maritime Volunteer Services and North Devon Animal Ambulance.
The Chivenor helicopter could not attend because the Sea King fleet had been temporarily grounded for all non-essential flying.
You may also want to watch:
Ilfracombe Round Table thanked all those who made the day a success, in particular the RNLI for the extra rescue displays its volunteer crew members put on to entertain the crowds.
For more pictures of the event, click on the gallery links on the top right of this page. To order photos click on the myphotos24 link on the left.
- 1 Northam Murder: Accused carer told police he 'loved her to bits'
- 2 PICTURES: Prince of Wales and Duchess of Cornwall visit The Burton at Bideford
- 3 Jewellery and cash stolen in Barnstaple burglary
- 4 PICTURES: Duchess of Cornwall visits Little Bridge House in Fremington
- 5 Bideford man dies after Link Road crash near South Molton
- 6 Rosemoor transforms into Wonderland for the summer holidays
- 7 'Spot The Oddity' in Bideford for your chance to win £100
- 8 Britain’s most influential artists exhibit at The Burton at Bideford
- 9 Braunton Caen Rotary welcomes their youngest ever club president
- 10 £100K funding to Torridge towns to support recovery post Covid-19