Dramatic Ilfracombe rescues by land and sea
Rescue Day 2011 showcases the crucial work of the region’s emergency services
THE sound of sirens blared across Ilfracombe on Wednesday as the region’s emergency services swung into action in a series of dramatic operations from a road traffic accident to a coastal cliff drama.
It was of course Rescue Day, the annual charity event organised by Ilfracombe Round Table to showcase the work of those who save lives.
The police, fire and ambulance services were joined by the RNLI, HM Coastguard plus Exmoor Search and Rescue. Also on hand were the Red Cross, Devon 4x4, National Blood Service, Devon Air Ambulance, Maritime Volunteer Services and North Devon Animal Ambulance.
The Chivenor helicopter could not attend because the Sea King fleet had been temporarily grounded for all non-essential flying.
You may also want to watch:
Ilfracombe Round Table thanked all those who made the day a success, in particular the RNLI for the extra rescue displays its volunteer crew members put on to entertain the crowds.
For more pictures of the event, click on the gallery links on the top right of this page. To order photos click on the myphotos24 link on the left.
- 1 County Council Elections: Candidates for North Devon
- 2 County Council Elections: Candidates for Torridge
- 3 Police appeal after Barnstaple brawl
- 4 12 countries announced on travel green list from May 17
- 5 North Devon seconds look to bounce back from heavy defeat
- 6 Pensioner gets suspended sentence for 'unspeakable abuse images'
- 7 Devon County Council Elections: Candidate lists for North Devon and Torridge
- 8 Shocked Barnstaple burglary victim watched raid on phone
- 9 New Barnstaple restaurant offers Fine Dining at Home
- 10 Big opening-day wins for Bideford and Braunton