Dramatic Ilfracombe rescues by land and sea
Rescue Day 2011 showcases the crucial work of the region’s emergency services
THE sound of sirens blared across Ilfracombe on Wednesday as the region’s emergency services swung into action in a series of dramatic operations from a road traffic accident to a coastal cliff drama.
It was of course Rescue Day, the annual charity event organised by Ilfracombe Round Table to showcase the work of those who save lives.
The police, fire and ambulance services were joined by the RNLI, HM Coastguard plus Exmoor Search and Rescue. Also on hand were the Red Cross, Devon 4x4, National Blood Service, Devon Air Ambulance, Maritime Volunteer Services and North Devon Animal Ambulance.
The Chivenor helicopter could not attend because the Sea King fleet had been temporarily grounded for all non-essential flying.
You may also want to watch:
Ilfracombe Round Table thanked all those who made the day a success, in particular the RNLI for the extra rescue displays its volunteer crew members put on to entertain the crowds.
For more pictures of the event, click on the gallery links on the top right of this page. To order photos click on the myphotos24 link on the left.
- 1 Aldi plans for three new stores in North Devon
- 2 MISSING: Police search for Peter Hughes from Combe Martin area
- 3 'Kinky Boots' coming to Barnstaple's Queen's Theatre
- 4 North Devon charity organises Routes of Remembrance
- 5 Barnstaple Enterprise Hub 'Node' launches to support local businesses
- 6 Holsworthy solicitor praised by guide to UK’s top lawyers
- 7 Developer sponsors Shammy FC youth teams
- 8 Firework display set to return to Barnstaple Rugby Club for 2021
- 9 North Devon Healthcare trust scores high in patient survey
- 10 Team to lead community-focussed Gazette into new era