Donate a pound for cancer charities – and win a �100 M&S food hamper
Reader offer to help Barnstaple store to hit fund-raising target
NORTH Devon Gazette readers are being invited to pledge a pound – and help Barnstaple’s Marks and Spencer store raise �5,000 for three cancer charities in just three days.
The High Street store is hoping to do its bit as part of a national effort to raise �1million for Breakthrough Breast Cancer, Action Cancer and The Marie Keating Foundation.
From Thursday to Saturday, M&S shops up and down the county are holding their own events, while 35 members of the firm’s retail leadership team will be taking on the Five Peaks Challenge, hoping to conquer the highest peaks in Scotland, England, Wales, Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland in just 48 hours.
In Barnstaple, Gazette readers pledging a pound will be entered into a draw to win a food hamper worth �100.
Simply cut out the coupon below and take it along to the store when you make a �1 donation on any of the three days.
Barnstaple store manager Kate Sharp said the store usually saw an average of 16,000 customers on a Thursday and Friday combined, and a further 7,000 on a Saturday.
- 1 Remembering much-loved and once-heaving Ilfracombe train station
- 2 Go ahead for 211 homes but Bideford plans fall short on affordable homes
- 3 North Devon holiday home tax dodgers face crackdown
- 4 South Molton's top 10 rating for pannier market
- 5 Stylish Victorian property offers many period features
- 6 Help turn tide with Appledore community film
- 7 Queen's Theatre panto audiences raise £3,200 for local charities
- 8 Rishi's thumbs up to £60m investment and 200 new jobs
- 9 Chance at last to sing along with the Winkleigh Singers
- 10 Popular character Joan dies at 92
She said: “If everyone who visits the store donates �1 we could smash our individual target.
“More than 400,000 people are diagnosed with cancer every year. Very few of us will not come into contact with the disease at some point in our lives, either ourselves or through a family member or friend, so please support such a worthwhile appeal.”
The Barnstaple M&S store, which announced last week that it had chosen the North Devon Chemotherapy Appeal as its local charity for the year, said it would be holding similar fund-raisers for the hospital appeal later in the year.
Readers can find out more about the Marks and Spencer Five Peaks Challenge by visiting the Just Giving website, http://www.justgiving.com/teams/5peakschallenge/