Don’t ditch the fish!
SIR - I would like to announce to readers that I have launched “Don’t Ditch the Fish”. The time for talking about discards has been and gone.
Currently, the Common Fisheries Policy is Europe’s shameful secret. It is vital that we return control of fishing policy to regions and stop making micro-decisions in Brussels.
My ‘Don’t Ditch the Fish’ plan aims to ensure fishermen do not need to discard or worry about going over quota as vulnerable fish (such as those in recovery programmes like North Sea cod) will have a higher credits rating than resilient fish from healthy stocks such as North Sea mackerel.
So fishermen will be incentivised to target the mackerel and to try and avoid cod to maintain a healthy credits balance. Immature fish will carry a higher credits value than mature fish from the same stock.
Please go online for more information at: www.dontditchthefish.com
You may also want to watch:
MEP for the South West of England and Gibraltar
- 1 Jealous Barnstaple boyfriend made divorcee get rid of wedding dress
- 2 North Devon business signs up to 1 billion tree project
- 3 The Plough announces Open-Air Theatre Festival
- 4 Holidaycottages.co.uk celebrates launch of new office in Braunton
- 5 Criminal damage at Fremington Football Club - Police appeal
- 6 Little Leo’s big challenge for Children’s Hospice South West
- 7 Bungling Northam burglar facing jail
- 8 Boris Johnson - Time between Covid jabs cut in response to Indian variant
- 9 North Devon sign West Indian pace bowler
- 10 'ThINK it through before you tattoo' urges council