Don’t ditch the fish!
SIR - I would like to announce to readers that I have launched “Don’t Ditch the Fish”. The time for talking about discards has been and gone.
Currently, the Common Fisheries Policy is Europe’s shameful secret. It is vital that we return control of fishing policy to regions and stop making micro-decisions in Brussels.
My ‘Don’t Ditch the Fish’ plan aims to ensure fishermen do not need to discard or worry about going over quota as vulnerable fish (such as those in recovery programmes like North Sea cod) will have a higher credits rating than resilient fish from healthy stocks such as North Sea mackerel.
So fishermen will be incentivised to target the mackerel and to try and avoid cod to maintain a healthy credits balance. Immature fish will carry a higher credits value than mature fish from the same stock.
Please go online for more information at: www.dontditchthefish.com
You may also want to watch:
MEP for the South West of England and Gibraltar
- 1 52-year-old man dies in three car crash between Bideford and Torrington
- 2 Police investigate midnight assault on scooter rider in Barnstaple
- 3 North Devon Healthcare Trust department awarded Academic status
- 4 Northam Murder: Grieving family condemn killer's lies and cruelty
- 5 Barnstaple Fair set to return for 2021 - 'May the show go on!'
- 6 Coveted Muddy Stiletto award for Bideford's Josie's Interiors
- 7 Northam Murder: 'Merciless' carer gets life for killing client who caught him stealing
- 8 Man dies after 'single vehicle collision' on the A386
- 9 Northam Murder: Carer guilty of brutal murder of frail widow
- 10 Woman reportedly assaulted at Bideford park - Police seek witnesses