Don’t ditch the fish!
SIR - I would like to announce to readers that I have launched “Don’t Ditch the Fish”. The time for talking about discards has been and gone.
Currently, the Common Fisheries Policy is Europe’s shameful secret. It is vital that we return control of fishing policy to regions and stop making micro-decisions in Brussels.
My ‘Don’t Ditch the Fish’ plan aims to ensure fishermen do not need to discard or worry about going over quota as vulnerable fish (such as those in recovery programmes like North Sea cod) will have a higher credits rating than resilient fish from healthy stocks such as North Sea mackerel.
So fishermen will be incentivised to target the mackerel and to try and avoid cod to maintain a healthy credits balance. Immature fish will carry a higher credits value than mature fish from the same stock.
Please go online for more information at: www.dontditchthefish.com
You may also want to watch:
MEP for the South West of England and Gibraltar
- 1 Real ice rink coming to Barnstaple Christmas Village
- 2 Torrington woman rebuilds her life after devastating stroke
- 3 £2.1m upgrade will provide space for 38 new North Devon jobs
- 4 Vandalism at Bideford's Brunswick Wharf development condemned
- 5 Cyclist left with ‘serious head injuries’ after incident in Bideford
- 6 Fangtastic half-term Halloween fun at Yeo Valley Woodland
- 7 Bid for £34 million to improve Devon's bus services submitted
- 8 New app 'Dscvr' promoting North Devon town centres set to launch
- 9 Firework display set to return to Barnstaple Rugby Club for 2021
- 10 Charity staff praised for support helping customers get online