Dock opens for first boat in seven years
A gig club had the priviledge of making the first voyage into Richmond Dry Dock since 2005.
FOR the first time in seven years Richmond Dry Dock opened its gates for the first vessel to enter.
And the honour fell to Appledore gig club as members rowed their gig, Siren, into the recently excavated dock.
Len White, chairman of the gig club, said: “It was a really proud moment for us; Mr Evans of Richmond Dock was kind enough to invite us to row into the docks and see it up close.
“I worked in the ship yard all my life but I’d never had chance to go into Richmond Dock; we were delighted.”
You may also want to watch:
The dock hasn’t been used since 2005, and has recently been leased to Gareth Evans of FTD Marine Ltd.
The company will use the dock to mainly repair and dismantle unused vessels.
- 1 £2.1m upgrade will provide space for 38 new North Devon jobs
- 2 Drink spiking crackdown after needle attack - Devon Police
- 3 Bideford's First Food and Drink Festival coming soon
- 4 Real ice rink coming to Barnstaple Christmas Village
- 5 Torrington woman rebuilds her life after devastating stroke
- 6 'Neglected' North Devon taxi firm challenged by councillors
- 7 Appeal goes out to patients as Devon's health service buckle under pressure
- 8 Cyclist left with ‘serious head injuries’ after incident in Bideford
- 9 Vandalism at Bideford's Brunswick Wharf development condemned
- 10 Legg Power in ChemoHero fundraising
Members of CASH (celebrating Appledore’s shipping heritage) and FTD Marine Ltd were all on hand to witness the occasion as the gig entered the dock.