Do you remember AA man Francis?
- Credit: Archant
Help solve riddle of black and white photograph discovered in box of family heirlooms.
NORTH Devon Gazette readers are being asked to help solve the riddle of an AA patrolman, whose picture has turned up in a box of family heirlooms.
Heather Flack, who lives in Bewdley, Worcestershire, would love to know if the man pictured in the old black and white photograph is the same patrolman who regularly rescued her aunt in North Devon in the 1930s.
Meg Sprackett and her friend Hilda ran cake shops in Barnstaple and Ilfracombe but regularly used to break down when making deliveries between the two towns.
Heather said: “They bought an Austin Seven car for £5 and used this to transport the cakes they had made in Ilfracombe to sell in Barnstaple.
You may also want to watch:
“The car kept breaking down but an AA man came to the rescue on a regular basis.
“I think he must have patrolled the main road from Barnstaple to Ilfracombe as of course, there were few phones in those days and Meg simply had to sit on the side of the road and wait for help.
- 1 52-year-old man dies in three car crash between Bideford and Torrington
- 2 Police investigate midnight assault on scooter rider in Barnstaple
- 3 North Devon Healthcare Trust department awarded Academic status
- 4 Coveted Muddy Stiletto award for Bideford's Josie's Interiors
- 5 Northam Murder: Grieving family condemn killer's lies and cruelty
- 6 Barnstaple Fair set to return for 2021 - 'May the show go on!'
- 7 Northam Murder: 'Merciless' carer gets life for killing client who caught him stealing
- 8 Man dies after crash involving two lorries and a motorbike near Torrington
- 9 Man dies after 'single vehicle collision' on the A386
- 10 Woman reportedly assaulted at Bideford park - Police seek witnesses
“Meg actually became quite friendly with the AA man and his wife and two small children, and even went to have a meal with them.
“The name on the back of the photo is Francis Shattock. He is clearly an AA man by his uniform and I would love to know if it is the same man who used to rescue Meg on a regular basis.”
If any readers remember the patrolman in the picture, or are able to help identify him, telephone Heather Flack on 01299 400691 or email email@example.com