Diver to run marathon to help stranded marine animals
- Credit: Archant
Justin Duerden, from Braunton, was so inspired by one charity’s work he has decided to run the London Marathon for them.
A KEEN diver will be running the London Marathon to raise money for a charity that helps marine animals in distress.
Justin Duerden, from Braunton, was so impressed with the work of the British Divers Marine Life Rescue (BDMLR), he is not only fundraising for them but is also hoping to become more involved with the charity’s work.
The 37-year-old said he has always wanted to run the London Marathon and will be trying to raise as much as possible for the charity close to his heart.
“I used to dream about coming round the corner and seeing Buckingham Palace, and running down that straight,” said Justin.
You may also want to watch:
“I’ve run half marathons and 10k runs before but this is my first full marathon and I knew I wanted it to be the London.
“My wife Cheryl and I used to run diving schools in South East Asia before moving back here and I wanted to raise money for something important to us.
- 1 52-year-old man dies in three car crash between Bideford and Torrington
- 2 Police investigate midnight assault on scooter rider in Barnstaple
- 3 Coveted Muddy Stiletto award for Bideford's Josie's Interiors
- 4 North Devon Healthcare Trust department awarded Academic status
- 5 Northam Murder: Grieving family condemn killer's lies and cruelty
- 6 Northam Murder: 'Merciless' carer gets life for killing client who caught him stealing
- 7 Man dies after crash involving two lorries and a motorbike near Torrington
- 8 Man dies after 'single vehicle collision' on the A386
- 9 Barnstaple Fair set to return for 2021 - 'May the show go on!'
- 10 Woman reportedly assaulted at Bideford park - Police seek witnesses
“There are so many marine strandings in the South West and BDMLR have said it will train us both up to become marine mammal medics.
“We’ll then be on call to come and help when there is a stranding – it could be anything from a shark or seal to a whale or dolphin.”
BDMLR is the only marine mammal rescue organisation operating across England, Wales and Scotland and responds to callouts from the public and various agencies.
Justin, who runs Oceanside Landscaping, is hoping to raise as much as possible for the charity and will even be hosting a sweepstake on his finishing time.
To sponsor Justin and for more information visit www.justgiving.com/justinduerden.