District councils agree to look at working together
AN effort to set up joint working and possibly shared services between North Devon and Torridge district councils took a step forward last night (Wednesday.) Members of North Devon Council voted in favour of exploring sharing services with its neighbours af
AN effort to set up joint working and possibly shared services between North Devon and Torridge district councils took a step forward last night (Wednesday.)
Members of North Devon Council voted in favour of exploring sharing services with its neighbours after a debate at a full council meeting.
This echoes a similar decision made at Torridge last week.
"I see this as a positive step forward," Leader of North Devon Council, Councillor Des Brailey said.
You may also want to watch:
"I'm grateful to my colleagues for looking at the bigger picture and considering the wider benefits for local residents of the two councils working more closely together."
His counterpart, Torridge Leader Cllr James Morrish added: "The most important part of any partnership is trust.
- 1 2021 North Devon Show cancelled
- 2 Man wielding knife arrested in Barnstaple park
- 3 Braunton farmer admits ploughing up 'semi natural' land
- 4 Prince Philip's last North Devon visit remembered
- 5 North Devon high streets get set to welcome residents back
- 6 Flags fly at half mast across North Devon for Prince Philip
- 7 Property of the Week: Ford Rise, Bideford
- 8 Rapid coronavirus tests now available across Devon
- 9 Police seek driver after horse riders injured in Westward Ho! incident
- 10 Date set for reopening of Bideford Pannier Market
"To be honest, the relationship between both Torridge and North Devon councils has in the past been a little negative, however it is time for us both to be bold and positive and ensure this new way of running a local authority works successfully and provides the best in services at the lowest possible cost to the our residents and business."
The next steps will involve further meetings between the two councils to decide which services to look at first.