Dispersal order for Bideford town centre
- Credit: Archant
The order will run from Saturday to combat antisocial behaviour over the summer months.
A NEW dispersal order has been granted by Torridge District Council and Devon and Cornwall Police for Bideford town centre for the summer months.
The Section 30 order gives PCSOs the power to disperse groups of two or more people from the area for up to 24 hours.
Dispersal orders are used when a group’s behaviour had resulted in, or is likely to result in, causing disruption, distress or intimidation.
Sergeant Helen Holmes and acting sergeant Claire Dando of the Bideford Neighbourhood Policing Team said: “Bideford is a safe town in which to live, work and socialise.
You may also want to watch:
“Unfortunately there is a small minority whose activities or behaviour can impact negatively on others enjoyment of the town centre and its services.
“Therefore the Section 30 has been put in place as an additional tool to deal with those people effectively”
- 1 PICTURES: New Bideford book merges old pictures with new
- 2 Man with 'fearsome' ornamental knife arrested in Barnstaple
- 3 Ilfracombe dressage star Caitlin Burgess pursues Olympic dream
- 4 Assault and attempted robbery near Tarka Trail
- 5 Man arrested after 'serious assault' outside Barnstaple nightclub
- 6 North Devon grandad takes on 700 mile cycling challenge
- 7 Drink driver banned after Ilfracombe Lidl crash
- 8 Surf trio take on epic surf paddle challenge in memory of best friends
- 9 Holsworthy conveyancer crowned Young Practitioner of the Year
- 10 HubHop - New shopping app for independent shops in North Devon
The order will be in force from 6am on Saturday and will run until 6am on September 30.
Councillor Andy Boyd, lead member for community safety at Torridge, said: “We want people to enjoy themselves, but in a responsible manner.
“In previous years when the order has been used, significant decreases in offences such as criminal damage, public order and drink related anti-social behaviour have been recorded.”