Discover ancient Combe Martin mines
THE long history of Combe Martin s silver mines and much more besides will be on display at two special open days on Thursday, July 30 and Sunday, August 2. The Mine Tenement site, off Comers Lane in the village, is currently being excavated and preserved
THE long history of Combe Martin's silver mines and much more besides will be on display at two special open days on Thursday, July 30 and Sunday, August 2.
The Mine Tenement site, off Comers Lane in the village, is currently being excavated and preserved by the members of Combe Martin Silver Mine Research and Preservation Society.
Both open days run from 10am-5pm and visitors are often amazed at the amount that has been achieved by the volunteers over the past years, with restored mine workings, a blacksmiths forge and much more besides.
It is thought the site has been used since the Bronze Age and has since been a hub of industry from medieval times to the Victorian age, when the mines were eventually abandoned.
It has been said the famous 1415 Battle of Agincourt won by Henry V against the French and the successes at Crecy and Poitiers were "won in the shafts of Combe Martin."
The first evidence of a Royal mine in the village comes from a 1292 document, but there is even a school of thought that mining occurred as early as the Roman times.
- 1 Two vehicle crash blocks Link Road near Barnstaple
- 2 7 Ways to work on North Devon's beaches in 2022 - Stephanie Conway
- 3 OPINION: An introduction from Torridge council leader Ken James
- 4 Remembering much-loved and once-heaving Ilfracombe train station
- 5 Devon's special educational needs funding ‘broken’
- 6 Go ahead for 211 homes but Bideford plans fall short on affordable homes
- 7 Why Lorna gave up working from an office to build a business around passion for surfing
- 8 Snell returns to inspire comfortable win for Bideford
- 9 Holiday firm's New Year gift for hospice
- 10 Nature conservation work in Fremington requires volunteers
Access to the site is via Comers Lane, off Bowhay Lane (opposites Hanson's Garage) and is a pleasant walk from the main street, but there is limited parking available for any who might find this difficult.
Find out more about the mine at www.combemartinminers.co.uk.