Discover ancient Combe Martin mines
THE long history of Combe Martin s silver mines and much more besides will be on display at two special open days on Thursday, July 30 and Sunday, August 2. The Mine Tenement site, off Comers Lane in the village, is currently being excavated and preserved
THE long history of Combe Martin's silver mines and much more besides will be on display at two special open days on Thursday, July 30 and Sunday, August 2.
The Mine Tenement site, off Comers Lane in the village, is currently being excavated and preserved by the members of Combe Martin Silver Mine Research and Preservation Society.
Both open days run from 10am-5pm and visitors are often amazed at the amount that has been achieved by the volunteers over the past years, with restored mine workings, a blacksmiths forge and much more besides.
It is thought the site has been used since the Bronze Age and has since been a hub of industry from medieval times to the Victorian age, when the mines were eventually abandoned.
You may also want to watch:
It has been said the famous 1415 Battle of Agincourt won by Henry V against the French and the successes at Crecy and Poitiers were "won in the shafts of Combe Martin."
The first evidence of a Royal mine in the village comes from a 1292 document, but there is even a school of thought that mining occurred as early as the Roman times.
- 1 Some North Devon GP surgeries to provide Covid vaccine clinics
- 2 Covid vaccine: Roll out continues but is North Devon being left out?
- 3 Weather warning of snow and ice for Devon this weekend
- 4 Exmoor Ramble legacy for legendary fundraiser as he battles terminal cancer
- 5 Farmer gets suspended sentence for tractor crash
- 6 Barnstaple man attacked his wife and neighbour after Christmas drink
- 7 Devon's Tiki surf brand is up for sale
- 8 Three more Covid deaths at North Devon District Hospital but cases are falling
- 9 Plans to merge North Devon and Exeter health trusts move forward
- 10 Tributes to Ilfracombe's 30-year school governor
Access to the site is via Comers Lane, off Bowhay Lane (opposites Hanson's Garage) and is a pleasant walk from the main street, but there is limited parking available for any who might find this difficult.
Find out more about the mine at www.combemartinminers.co.uk.