Devon welcomes pothole cash announcement
More cash on the way to repair county’s crumbling roads
DEVON County Council has welcomed the Government announcement of extra cash for pothole repairs.
Local authorities will be informed next month of the share they will receive from the �100 million earmarked to deal with winter damage caused to the nation’s roads.
The county council received �3.6million last year in a similar Government handout. That was part of �11million spent by Devon last year on reactive repairs and resurfacing of highways damaged by the severe weather of last winter.
A record number of almost 200,000 potholes were fixed on Devon’s 8,000 mile road network in 2010, compared with 40,000 in 2009.
You may also want to watch:
Councillor Stuart Hughes, Devon County Cabinet Member for Highways and Transportation, said: “We have seen yet more damage appearing on our road network after the prolonged cold spell we endured in December, and our teams are continuing to respond to that.
“Repairing potholes remains an uphill battle in our county, simply because we have more roads to maintain than any other authority in the country, so a fair share of this money is much needed in Devon.”
- 1 North Devon's largest private employer needs workers to expand
- 2 Street food traders revealed for South Molton Food and Drink Festival
- 3 820 homes approved for Landkey despite council concern
- 4 'Controversial' plan to close mental health centres in North Devon
- 5 North Devon optometrist highlights 'ticking timebomb' vision crisis
- 6 Celebrating 15 years of North Devon charity Families in Grief
- 7 New Archdeacon of Barnstaple begins her role at special service in Bideford
- 8 World’s Biggest Macmillan Coffee Morning backed by North Devon MP
- 9 Devon Police commissioner commits to tackling gender violence
- 10 Man seriously injured at Appledore Quay - Witness Appeal
Devon County Council has earmarked more than �7million to be spent on pothole repairs for the coming financial year as part of its ongoing repair programme.
Potholes and safety defects on the county’s roads can be reported online at www.devon.gov.uk or by calling 0845 155 1004.