Devon welcomes pothole cash announcement
More cash on the way to repair county’s crumbling roads
DEVON County Council has welcomed the Government announcement of extra cash for pothole repairs.
Local authorities will be informed next month of the share they will receive from the �100 million earmarked to deal with winter damage caused to the nation’s roads.
The county council received �3.6million last year in a similar Government handout. That was part of �11million spent by Devon last year on reactive repairs and resurfacing of highways damaged by the severe weather of last winter.
A record number of almost 200,000 potholes were fixed on Devon’s 8,000 mile road network in 2010, compared with 40,000 in 2009.
You may also want to watch:
Councillor Stuart Hughes, Devon County Cabinet Member for Highways and Transportation, said: “We have seen yet more damage appearing on our road network after the prolonged cold spell we endured in December, and our teams are continuing to respond to that.
“Repairing potholes remains an uphill battle in our county, simply because we have more roads to maintain than any other authority in the country, so a fair share of this money is much needed in Devon.”
- 1 UPDATE: Two people airlifted to hospital after A361 Link Road crash
- 2 Heavy traffic in Barnstaple after crash involving car and pedestrian
- 3 North Devon men to swim the English Channel and back again
- 4 Torrington school switches to remote learning after Covid cases
- 5 Bideford woman wins £70,000 and turns miles into trees
- 6 Rescue dog finally finds forever home after more than 200 days
- 7 Thieves steal £3,500 of fragrances from Barnstaple department store
- 8 Farmer who caused lamb ‘unnecessary suffering’ given two year ban
- 9 Moore makes mark as North Devon beat Budleigh Salterton
- 10 Brother told sister 'you're dead' after birthday party bust-up
Devon County Council has earmarked more than �7million to be spent on pothole repairs for the coming financial year as part of its ongoing repair programme.
Potholes and safety defects on the county’s roads can be reported online at www.devon.gov.uk or by calling 0845 155 1004.