Search begins for superfast broadband provider in Devon and Somerset
- Credit: Alpha Stock Images
The search is on to find a new contractor to roll out superfast broadband across Devon and Somerset.
Connection Devon and Somerset (CDS) is working with Building Digital UK (BDUK) on a new procurement process.
The Government has confirmed an extension for the CDS programme, helping to provide a £38 million public investment in the region's broadband.
Funding has also been provided by Heart of the South West local enterprise partnership, local authorities, the European Regional Development Fund and the Rural Development Programme for England.
Councillor Rufus Gilbert, Devon County Council cabinet member for economy and skills and CDS board member, said: "CDS is working hard to find alternative broadband providers for our residents and businesses.
You may also want to watch:
"BDUK has always stated its commitment to extend the funding for the programme, and it has backed us by doing exactly that."
Final bids from qualified bidders in the procurement process are expected to be received by CDS by late summer, and contracts are due to be awarded in December.
- 1 Yelland power station development set for approval despite 700 objections
- 2 Search for missing Ilfracombe woman Hannah Peacock continues
- 3 Schizophrenic mugger sent to mental unit after Barnstaple robbery
- 4 Crooked party leader with ties to Bideford was a serial conman
- 5 The boy in the tent Max Woosey receives prestigious award
- 6 Drug driver banned after crashing during chase through North Devon
- 7 Old Tannery in South Molton to be turned into new homes
- 8 Fugitive jailed after car chase between Bideford and Barnstaple
- 9 Egg-ceptional packaging design from autistic Petroc student Brooke
- 10 Finance manager jailed for stealing almost £1m from Witheridge company