Search begins for superfast broadband provider in Devon and Somerset
- Credit: Alpha Stock Images
The search is on to find a new contractor to roll out superfast broadband across Devon and Somerset.
Connection Devon and Somerset (CDS) is working with Building Digital UK (BDUK) on a new procurement process.
The Government has confirmed an extension for the CDS programme, helping to provide a £38 million public investment in the region's broadband.
Funding has also been provided by Heart of the South West local enterprise partnership, local authorities, the European Regional Development Fund and the Rural Development Programme for England.
Councillor Rufus Gilbert, Devon County Council cabinet member for economy and skills and CDS board member, said: "CDS is working hard to find alternative broadband providers for our residents and businesses.
You may also want to watch:
"BDUK has always stated its commitment to extend the funding for the programme, and it has backed us by doing exactly that."
Final bids from qualified bidders in the procurement process are expected to be received by CDS by late summer, and contracts are due to be awarded in December.
- 1 £2.1m upgrade will provide space for 38 new North Devon jobs
- 2 Torrington woman rebuilds her life after devastating stroke
- 3 Real ice rink coming to Barnstaple Christmas Village
- 4 Vandalism at Bideford's Brunswick Wharf development condemned
- 5 Cyclist left with ‘serious head injuries’ after incident in Bideford
- 6 Fangtastic half-term Halloween fun at Yeo Valley Woodland
- 7 Bid for £34 million to improve Devon's bus services submitted
- 8 New app 'Dscvr' promoting North Devon town centres set to launch
- 9 Bideford's First Food and Drink Festival coming soon
- 10 Charity staff praised for support helping customers get online