Devon Poppy Appeal 2013 launched at Chivenor
- Credit: Archant
The military and Royal British Legion launch the annual Remembrance appeal with full ceremony in North Devon.
ROYAL Marines bearing wreaths splashed ashore at RMB Chivenor this morning (Friday) to mark the official launch of the 2013 Poppy Appeal launch for Devon.
It is the first launch of the popular appeal in North Devon for several years and in the run up to Remembrance Day on November 11 fund raisers hope to collect at least £1million across the county.
In a poignant ceremony the wreaths were piped ashore while an RAF Seaking hovered overhead, before being presented to four members of Haslar Company, the Devonport based unit for injured and recovering service personnel.
Royal British Legion standard bearers and members from across Devon, including Rear Admiral (ret) Rick Cheadle, president of the Devon Poppy Appeal, were in attendance, together with dignitaries including Barnstaple and Bideford Mayors Lesley Brown and Simon Inch.
You may also want to watch:
Eight Braunton schoolchildren, four each from Southmead and Caen schools, also took part in the launch, as did First Chivenor Sea Scouts and Barnstaple Sea Cadets.
Once safely ashore, the poppy wreaths were taken to the new Chivenor memorial garden for its first official ceremony, with a memorial service.
- 1 Brother told sister 'you're dead' after birthday party bust-up
- 2 Bideford Pannier Market offers traders new deal
- 3 Chaos guaranteed at the first Bideford Soapbox Derby
- 4 Barnstaple Roundtable focuses on the importance of defibrillators
- 5 Torrington gears up for North Devon’s BIGGEST EVER Table Top Sale
- 6 Man with 'fearsome' ornamental knife arrested in Barnstaple
- 7 North Devon builders bums needed for charity calendar
- 8 North Devon MP Selaine Saxby leads World Ocean Day debate
- 9 Assault and attempted robbery near Tarka Trail
- 10 PICTURES: New Bideford book merges old pictures with new
The wreath were laid at the new memorial wall by the Haslar Company members, each accompanied by a child.
In an address, Colonel Dominic May, RMB Chivenor CO, said public support of the 2013 Devon Poppy Appeal was vital for those who had made the greatest sacrifice for their country and it gave him great pleasure to launch the appeal at Chivenor.
Carole Arnold, county fund raiser for RBL Devon, had organised the event alongside Major Mark Latham at Chivenor: “Today has been absolutely amazing,” she said, “It’s military precision at its best.
“It has been a joy to come up top North Devon and very much an honour to be part of this. Without the public support we could not raise the money that we do for the appeal, so it’s a big thank you to the people of Devon.”
Major Latham added: “I thought the event went extremely well - not only did the weather hold up for us, but the combination of bringing everybody from Chivenor and Instow together to support the appeal was just a delight.”
* CLICK on the galleries to the top right of this page to see more pictures from this morning’s launch,.