Developer cash boosts village playing field
New shelter for Chittlehampton sport fans
A NEW shelter has been built on a playing field in Chittlehampton.
The shelter and seating behind the village hall has been built with money contributed by developers given planning permission for nearby houses at the back of Hobbs Lea.
North Devon Council released the �10,000 Section 106 money, while Chittlehampton Parish Council also put �2,000 towards the project, which it will be able to claim back at a later stage.
The district council’s Executive Member for Culture, Councillor Derrick Spear, said: “We’re delighted that we have been able to release the money for this local need to benefit users of the playing field.
You may also want to watch:
“It shows how planning obligations put on developers can benefit the community in more ways than just the building project they are carrying out.”
Parish council chairman, Cllr Marian Edwards, said the decision to use the money followed a consultation carried out with local people.
- 1 North Devon's largest private employer needs workers to expand
- 2 North Devon optometrist highlights 'ticking timebomb' vision crisis
- 3 'Controversial' plan to close mental health centres in North Devon
- 4 820 homes approved for Landkey despite council concern
- 5 New Archdeacon of Barnstaple begins her role at special service in Bideford
- 6 Holidaymaker jailed for attacking partner in Ilfracombe
- 7 Northam man who searched for child pornography sent on treatment course
- 8 Man seriously injured at Appledore Quay - Witness Appeal
- 9 Sale of Bideford's Brunswick Wharf completed
- 10 North Devon Emergency Department in top ten for patient experience
She said: “Their responses highlighted a need for somewhere for people to meet and enjoy the playing field’s activities, as well as a shelter and resting point for people out walking.
“Therefore, we hope they will agree this delivers on their requests and will be money well spent, for users now and in the future.”
Local ward member, Cllr Walter White, added: “This will be a great boost for villagers in Chittlehampton, who will now be able to watch the sports and games taking place on the playing field, while protected from the elements.
“We hope the new facility will be well used and well respected, as it is what local people were asking for.”