Detectives step up Ilfracombe investigation for missing woman
- Credit: Archant
Thames Valley officers visit North Devon to appeal for help following the disappearance of Catherine Nee 12 years ago.
DETECTIVES are in Ilfracombe today (Tuesday) to investigate the disappearance of a woman 12 years ago.
Catherine Nee from Reading was last seen by her family in Ilfracombe when she was 31-years-old and a team of detectives from Thames Valley Police are hoping local people can help them find out what happened to her.
It follows the arrest of a 47-year-old Reading man on suspicion of her murder. He has been released on bail until February 26.
Catherine, often known as ‘Kathy’, lived in Fore Street for about 18 months around 2001 and 2002 and she had a yellow Labrador dog named Prince.
You may also want to watch:
Today officers are in the town centre to hand out flyers, asking businesses to put up posters and speaking to local people.
Peter Clarke, acting detective sergeant on the Thames Valley Police major crimes unit, is leading the investigation. He said Catherine’s disappearance had only been brought to police attention by the family recently.
- 1 PICTURES: New Bideford book merges old pictures with new
- 2 Man with 'fearsome' ornamental knife arrested in Barnstaple
- 3 Ilfracombe dressage star Caitlin Burgess pursues Olympic dream
- 4 Assault and attempted robbery near Tarka Trail
- 5 Man arrested after 'serious assault' outside Barnstaple nightclub
- 6 North Devon grandad takes on 700 mile cycling challenge
- 7 Drink driver banned after Ilfracombe Lidl crash
- 8 Holsworthy conveyancer crowned Young Practitioner of the Year
- 9 Surf trio take on epic surf paddle challenge in memory of best friends
- 10 HubHop - New shopping app for independent shops in North Devon
“We’re directing our inquiry towards the last known place she was living, which was Ilfracombe,” he told the Gazette.
“We’re trying to reach out and talk to local people who may have been living in the area at that time. When did they last see her? Do they know what’s happened to her?
“We’re keeping an open mind because we don’t know what has happened; she could have moved away or be lying low somewhere. People may also recognise her dog, and we hope that may jog a few memories.
“The family are just trying to find their daughter who they haven’t seen or heard from in a long time.”
Anyone who knew Catherine while she was in Ilfracombe or who has any information is asked to call 101 or anonymously via Crimestoppers on 0800 555111, quoting reference 230 28/01/2013.