Demolition work agreed for Ilfracombe bus station
- Credit: Archant
Town council approves proposals to award contracts for removing the old buildings and clearing asbestos on site.
CONTRACTS to demolish the former Ilfracombe bus station and clear asbestos from the site have been approved by Ilfracombe Town Council.
The council bought the site for £750,000 last month after borrowing £1million from the Public Works Loan Board for the acquisition, to allow for demolition and site development.
Last night (Monday) councillors agreed to award a ‘phase one’ contract to LA Moore at a cost of £27,981 plus VAT, to remove all asbestos on site, including in the ticket office building, together with the removal of the roof of the workshop buildings.
A ‘phase two’ contract costing £24,850 plus VAT will be awarded in due course to Notts Contractors, for demolition of the ticket office, removal of certain wastes inside the workshop, and the reduction or removal of the workshop walls.
You may also want to watch:
It is also planned to remove the pavement sections near the former bus parking bays and certain other preparatory works, ready for final surfacing.
The council plans to use the site for car parking for now, with further plans expected following consultation in the town.
- 1 Northam Murder: Carer guilty of brutal murder of frail widow
- 2 Northam Murder: 'Merciless' carer gets life for killing client who caught him stealing
- 3 Woman reportedly assaulted at Bideford park - Police seek witnesses
- 4 Barnstaple Fair set to return for 2021 - 'May the show go on!'
- 5 Man dies after 'single vehicle collision' on the A386
- 6 Man dies after crash involving two lorries and a motorbike near Torrington
- 7 Evidence of damage found at Iron Age monument near Ilfracombe
- 8 Northam Murder: Judge tells jury to put aside emotion
- 9 Appledore RNLI's Matt Rowe passes out as lifeboat mechanic
- 10 Six people injured in serious crash on A39 near Barnstaple - Police appeal
In his report to the council, Councillor Paul Crabb said it was anticipated to award the phase one contract immediately, with a start date of later this month or early January.
He said phase two needed to be awarded ‘at a moment’s notice’ and it was agreed to delegate that decision to the bus station working group, which include the Mayor.