Defence firm's new contract
BARNSTAPLE-based J+S Ltd has been awarded a �1m contract for the sonar upgrade of ships operated by the Dutch and Belgian navies. The company will design and supply four ship sets of sonar transducers for the Defence Materiel Organisation of the Royal Net
BARNSTAPLE-based J+S Ltd has been awarded a �1m contract for the sonar upgrade of ships operated by the Dutch and Belgian navies.
The company will design and supply four ship sets of sonar transducers for the Defence Materiel Organisation of the Royal Netherlands Navy. The transducers will be installed on the M-Class frigates operated by the Dutch and Belgian navies.
It is hoped that options for further ship sets for the M-class frigates operated by the Chilean and Portuguese navies will be taken up next year.
J+S Ltd has been supplying transducer products to the Royal Navy for many years, but the award of this contract continues a trend of recent successes in the export market. In the last two years the company has delivered more than �1.5m of transducer orders to overseas customers.
You may also want to watch:
David Jeffries, managing director of J+S, said: "The award of this contract is highly significant since it represents a major export refit order won against tough competition.
"In recent years we have increased our focus on the export markets to compensate in part for the reduced spending on naval support activities in the UK market.
- 1 Covid vaccine: Roll out continues but is North Devon being left out?
- 2 Some North Devon GP surgeries to provide Covid vaccine clinics
- 3 Plans to merge North Devon and Exeter health trusts move forward
- 4 Exmoor Ramble legacy for legendary fundraiser as he battles terminal cancer
- 5 Barnstaple man cleared of drug dealing charges
- 6 Weather warning of snow and ice for Devon this weekend
- 7 Devon's Tiki surf brand is up for sale
- 8 Barnstaple man’s 5k-a-day challenge for children’s hospice
- 9 Barnstaple man attacked his wife and neighbour after Christmas drink
- 10 Farmer gets suspended sentence for tractor crash
"While our early successes in the export markets tended to be based on refit programmes on vessels sold pursuant to the Royal Navy fleet disposal programmes, we are now achieving success in the wider marketplace."
A spokesman for the DMO said: "I am delighted to announce that J+S has been awarded this contract which was won against international competition.
"The development, production and support programme offered by them meets all our requirements and provides excellent value for money. J+S has enormous experience of designing and delivering transducers for naval customers and we look forward to working with them.