Debt levels in North Devon reach record high
MORE people in North Devon are going bankrupt than ever before, according to Government statistics. Figures from the Insolvency Service show that 282 local people in the region became insolvent in 2009. The figures, which include Individual Voluntary Arra
MORE people in North Devon are going bankrupt than ever before, according to Government statistics.
Figures from the Insolvency Service show that 282 local people in the region became insolvent in 2009.
The figures, which include Individual Voluntary Arrangements (IVAs) and Debt Relief Orders (DROs), have prompted a warning from national debt charity the Debt Advice Foundation.
The charity said many reached the crisis point before asking for help and it is encouraging people not to delay seeking support.
You may also want to watch:
David Rodger, managing director, said: "Being in debt can be very stressful and people are often unsure what they should do or who to turn to for support. Many delay asking for help, which unfortunately means their situation can spiral out of control.
"Our advice is to seek help now - by getting impartial advice as soon as possible you'll be able to take steps to resolve the problem and get your finances back on track."
- 1 Northam Murder: 'Merciless' carer gets life for killing client who caught him stealing
- 2 Barnstaple Fair set to return for 2021 - 'May the show go on!'
- 3 Council bids for Levelling Up funding for Ilfracombe
- 4 Man dies after crash involving two lorries and a motorbike near Torrington
- 5 Man dies after 'single vehicle collision' on the A386
- 6 Northam Murder: Carer guilty of brutal murder of frail widow
- 7 Woman reportedly assaulted at Bideford park - Police seek witnesses
- 8 MP opens new Northam Burrows Visitor Centre at Westward Ho!
- 9 Huntsmen fined for digging badger sett near Chulmleigh
- 10 Evidence of damage found at Iron Age monument near Ilfracombe
Debt Advice Foundation offers free advice and support on 0800 2922077 or visit www.debtadvicefoundation.org/help