Death of ‘inspirational’ hospital fundraiser
Tireless cancer campaigner dies in hospital, aged 78
JENNIFER Bonetta, whose amazing charity fundraising has touched the lives of many North Devon people, has died at the North Devon District Hospital at the age of 78.
Jennifer, of Northam, founded the North Devon Cancer Care Trust in 1994 following the death from cancer of her husband, Tom.
Since then, with the help of her son James and a devoted committee of volunteers, the charity has raised more than �1.5 million.
The latest venture of Jennifer and her team has been to provide funding towards a new chemotherapy unit in North Devon, having made a donation of �250,000 earlier this year.
You may also want to watch:
Jac Kelly, chief executive of Northern Devon Healthcare Trust, said: “Jennifer Bonetta was an inspirational lady who has played a hugely significant role over many years in raising funds and improving care for people in North Devon living with cancer.
“Our deepest condolences are with the Bonetta family at this time.”
- 1 One of Bideford's oldest tea rooms sold at auction
- 2 £34,000 raised for plumber Jed Mason with stage four cancer in less than 48 hours
- 3 New details on Barnstaple town centre regeneration revealed
- 4 Barnstaple dealer says £3,100 stash in loft was poor quality
- 5 Brunswick Wharf developer given grant money to fix quay wall
- 6 Opening of new nature reserve in Lynton
- 7 Clubber denies headbutt assault in Barnstaple
- 8 North Devon's largest private employer needs workers to expand
- 9 Homeless man jailed after attacking Barnstaple soldier in McDonald's
- 10 Celebrations as gate to Pilton's Manning's Pit officially opened
Jennifer, who died yesterday (Monday), also leaves a daughter, Mary, and grandchildren Jennifer and Nicholas.
The funeral service is being held at St Margaret’s Church, Northam, next Wednesday, August 3. There will be family flowers only, with donations to the North Devon Cancer Care Trust.