Death crash drink driver jailed for six years
- Credit: Archant
Maximum jail term for driver who killed two friends in Bratton Fleming crash.
A BANNED drink driver has been jailed for six years after killing two of his friends in a car crash near Bratton Fleming.
Jason Huxtable, 22, from the village, had already admitted causing the deaths of young mother Emma Kift, 21, and Johnny Popple, 23, by careless driving, while nearly twice over the drink drive limit.
The car crashed and left the road at Loxhore Cross, rolling 25ft down a steep bank before bursting into flames in the early hours of June 1 last year.
While Huxtable walked free from the wreckage, Emma died of her injuries after being thrown from the vehicle and Johnny was unable to escape the burning car.
You may also want to watch:
Already disqualified from driving three months before the incident, Huxtable initially told police that Emma had been behind the wheel at the time of the crash but later admitted that he was the driver.
After sentencing at Exeter Crown Court on Friday, Hazel Kift, Emma’s mother, said: “We are and always will be devastated by the loss of Emma and Johnny.
- 1 Homeless man jailed after attacking Barnstaple soldier in McDonald's
- 2 North Devon's largest private employer needs workers to expand
- 3 MISSING: Police search for David Kose from Ilfracombe
- 4 Street food traders revealed for South Molton Food and Drink Festival
- 5 North Devon optometrist highlights 'ticking timebomb' vision crisis
- 6 Barnstaple dealer says £3,100 stash in loft was poor quality
- 7 New details on Barnstaple town centre regeneration revealed
- 8 Celebrating 15 years of North Devon charity Families in Grief
- 9 820 homes approved for Landkey despite council concern
- 10 North Devon Emergency Department in top ten for patient experience
“Their can be no justification for why mothers and fathers should have to bury their children or why siblings should be separated by death at such a young age or why a 16-month-old little boy should have to grow up without his mummy.”